You might have noticed that certain apps are not compatible with your Windows laptop or computer. If you own a Windows 10 S computer, this could be the case. This article will show you how to disable Windows 10 S mode.
What is Windows 10 S Mode?
Windows 10 S Mode allows you to boot faster, have longer battery life and provide better security. Windows 10 S Mode doesn’t allow you to use certain web browsers, or download apps not available in the Microsoft Store.
Windows 10 S Mode: Why Windows 10 S Mode is Important
Microsoft states that Windows 10 S Mode delivers predictable performance and quality. Windows 10 S Mode has many benefits including faster boot times and better security.
- Consistent performance Windows 10 S Mode allows you to reduce the amount of memory and processing power that is required. Your computer will continue to run as well as new for longer periods of time.
- Windows 10 S computers should boot in less than 15 seconds. tests showed that Windows 10 S computers booted 80% quicker than computers running Windows 10 Pro.
- A shorter battery life: S Mode uses 15% less power than the full Windows version. This will extend your laptop’s life expectancy. A Surface laptop with S Mode enabled can last for up to 14.5 hours on one charge.
Save files automatically to the cloud: When your computer runs Windows 10 S, all your files are automatically saved to OneDrive. This allows you to access any file on your computer from any internet-connected device.
- More security: Only Windows 10 S users can download apps from Microsoft Store. This reduces the chance of accidentally downloading malicious software or bugs that could damage your computer. Microsoft recommends that you still use Windows Defender Security Center in order to protect your computer.
- Many apps to choose from: The Microsoft Store was not as extensive when S Mode was released. There are many apps available now. The Microsoft Store offers a wide range of premium and free apps that you can download, whether you are looking for entertainment apps or productivity apps.
Why not disable Windows 10 S Mode
Windows 10 S Mode comes with some drawbacks that you might want to get rid of. Only the Edge browser and Bing will be available as search engines. You can’t also use third-party apps, peripherals, or configuration tools.
- Edge and Bing are the only options. While you’re in S Mode you can only use Edge with the Bing search engine. This means that Chrome and Firefox will not work. You’ll need to visit Google.com to search for the search engine.
- You can only download apps from Microsoft Store. You will be blocked from installing any app not available in the Microsoft Store if you attempt to install it.
- You can only use certain peripherals with Windows 10 S. Check out Microsoft to see if your device is compatible with Windows 10 S.
- You won’t have access to the Command Prompt or PowerShell for configuration and troubleshooting purposes.
How to check if Windows 10 S Mode is enabled
Go to Start > Settings > Windows 10 S Mode. Scroll down the left sidebar, and click About. To see which Windows edition version you have, check the Windows specification section.
- Open Windows Start Menu. This can be done by clicking on the button with the Windows logo at the bottom-left corner. You can also hit the button with the Windows logo on the keyboard.
- Then select Settings. This button has the gear icon.
- Next, click.
- Scroll down the left sidebar to click About.
- To check if Windows 10 S mode is enabled, go to Windows specifications. This will be below Edition.
How do I turn off Windows 10 S Mode?
Click the Start button to turn off Windows 10 S Mode. Next, go to Settings > Security > Update & Security >Activation. Select Click on the Store to get under the Switch off the S Mode panel. Next, click Install. Wait for the process to complete.
Switching out of S Mode is an irreversible process. Once you have switched out, there is no going back. Before you continue, ensure that S Mode is disabled permanently.
- Open Windows Start Menu.
- Then select Settings.
- Next, click Security & Update.
- Next, select activation. You can find this information in the left sidebar.
- Next click To go to the Store. This icon will be next to a shopping cart icon with the Windows logo. It will open a new window in Microsoft Store with Switch to S Mode.
- Next, click Get. The blue button will appear just below the description.
- Click Install, and then wait for the process to finish. A pop-up box will appear that states, “You are all set!” Now you can install apps from the Store outside of S mode.
You now know how to disable Windows 10 S Mode. Check out our list of the top Windows 10 apps to see what you can download.