Are you a victim of Excel file loss? You may have experienced a computer crash. Although it’s frustrating, you don’t need to start all over.
There are several ways to recover Excel files that have not been saved. It’s possible to not get the latest version of Excel with all your changes, but it’s much more convenient than starting from scratch.
Let’s take an in-depth look at the recovery methods.
Windows Excel Files Recovery
There are three main ways that Excel can recover unsaved or overwritten files. Excel’s Recover Unsaved Workbooks function may be useful if you close an unsaved workbook.
How to recover Excel workbooks that have been lost
Don’t panic if you lose access to your Excel workbook. You can recover any Excel file not saved by following the steps below.
- Open any Excel Excel workbook.
- Go to File > Open Click here Recent Option to view all Excel files that have been opened previously from your desktop or laptop.
- You’ll find the following at the bottom of your screen: Unsaved workbooks can be recovered.
- You will see a list of files that have not been saved when you click this button.
- To open any file, double-click it in explorer.
If you’re lucky enough, your file will be available and you can simply load it as a backup. Save it as soon as possible.
Recovering Overwritten Excel Files From OneDrive
You might be tempted to move your Excel files to OneDrive if you don’t have one. OneDrive has a history of all versions which you can access and retrieve whenever you want. These files can be saved wherever you’d like, but it seems more logical to keep them in the Documents folder.
This process can be completed via the OneDrive browser interface. Follow these steps to recover an Excel file you’ve lost from OneDrive.
- First, you need to head to onedrive.live.com .
- Click on the folder in which you saved your file. In our case, it’s Documents ).
- Right-click the document you want to find and save it.
- Select Version history. A list of all versions OneDrive has saved will now be displayed. You’ll be able to preview every version, thanks to OneDrive.
- Choose the one that interests you and make your selection. Restore You can overwrite the existing version of the document Download You can download the full version.
Microsoft OneDrive, a powerful tool for sharing and storing files, is undoubtedly a fantastic one. You don’t have to worry if you regularly back up your office files to this cloud-based service.
If you are a newbie and need some tips, our guide will help.
You can restore previous versions from File History
You can still recover Excel documents you have overwritten even if OneDrive is not installed. File History can be used to locate older versions if it’s enabled in Windows.
Are you unfamiliar with File History? Our guide will help you recover files that have been deleted from Windows. Get it enabled today. You will be glad that you did.
Navigate to the file you want in Windows Explorer if File History has been enabled. Right-click the file, and select To restore previous versions.
A new window will open and you’ll be able to see any older versions you can restore.
Note: You won’t be able to make any changes if you have not turned on File History.
However, if you haven’t been backing up your data, you may be able to retrieve your Excel document.
macOS Excel Files Recovery
A Mac is different when it comes to recovering Excel files that you have not saved or overwritten. If you have previously saved them to OneDrive, the same process can be used to restore older versions. This is the best way to go.
If you don’t use OneDrive, and you don’t have backed-up copies of your documents, there is one alternative.