To get your Roku device working again, restart it if it is experiencing issues like lagging or freezing. There are two options to restart your Roku device: either by going into settings or unplugging it, then waiting for a while before plugging it in again.
You cannot restart your Roku to make changes to it. It won’t delete your apps or change your WiFi settings. It will just turn your Roku on and off again.
How to restart your Roku device
Unplug your Roku device and wait approximately two minutes before you plug it back in. If your Roku device is older than the System Restart option, you may need to use the forced reboot method.
You can restart your Roku via Settings if you don’t wish to unplug it. Here’s how:
How to Restart Roku without Unplugging it
To start your Roku again without unplugging, simply press the Home button on the remote. Next, go to Settings>> System> System Restart. Next, choose Restart. Wait for your Roku to turn on and off again.
- Use the Home button to activate your Roku remote.
Not working? Check out our step-by_step guide on how to use Roku with a remote. You can also get a replacement remote.
- Next, press the up button. This will highlight Settings on the left sidebar.
- Next, click OK for Settings. You can also press and hold the right directional button of your remote. This will allow you to see all Settings options.
- Then select System. This can be found by pressing the up button one time.
- Next, select System Restart.
- Select To restart, click on
After a short time, your Roku device will shut down. You will see the Roku logo bouncing on your screen when it turns back on.
If none of these steps solve your problem, you may want to factory reset the Roku. To learn more, check out our step-by-step guide on how to factory reset the Roku device. A factory reset will wipe all of your settings and unlink the Roku account. You will need to set up your Roku device completely from scratch.