To make sound files it is necessary to be equipped with an audio microphone or an input source input (e.g. an webcam) and an audio application capable of recording audio. Fortunately, the majority of version of Windows and other operating systems have an audio recorder that is capable of recording audio. Below are the steps for how to make an audio file using Windows as well as macOS.
The creation of an audio file is possible in Windows 8 and 10
For creating an audio files in Windows 8 and Windows 10 Follow the steps below.
- Connect an audio device to your computer.
- For Windows 10, type voice recorder in the search box just below the word “Start”. On Windows 8, start typing voice recorder on the Start screen.
- In the results of your search, choose from the results, then select voice recorder application.
- Click the microphone button in blue and start speaking.
- After recording has been completed after recording, it is possible to share it with other users using”Share” in the “Share” option near in the lower right corner of your window.
The recorded file is saved in an .w4a file on your personal computer. To find the file, simply click the ellipsis icon in the bottom-right corner of the window and then select Open location for file.
Making an audio file with Windows 7 and earlier
For creating an audio files in Windows 7, follow the instructions below.
- The microphone must be connected to your computer.
- Select to start and enter the word “Sound Recorder” into the Search box.
- In the results of the search, choose your Audio Recorder software.
- Hit on the start recording button to begin speaking.
- When recording done click can’t Stop Recording
- After the recording has been made, Windows asks you to identify the file and specify the location it is to be saved as an .wma file.
After the file has been saved, if you’d like to access the file, you’ll have to navigate to the location of the file, then double-click on the file.
The creation of an audio file is possible on macOS
In order to create an audio recording on your Apple computer that runs macOS Follow the steps below.
- Make sure the mic is connected your computer.
- Start the Applications after which, after that, open QuickTime.
- Once QuickTime is opened via the QuickTime menu bar for files located at the very top, select the File menu after which click Create Audio Recording.
- Press the record button in red and begin to speak.
- After recording is complete, press”Stop.
- Click the Close button to end the audio.
- Choose a file’s name and select the location you wish to store the document. Make sure you save the file in an .mov as well as a .m4a file, based on the version you have installed of macOS.
Once the file has been saved, double-click it to play it within iTunes or the media player of your choice.
A sample of an MP3 audio file
Below is an illustration for what is an MP3 music file which you can play via your web browser.