Installing a home security system is easy with the Blink smart cameras. Amazon smart cameras let you monitor your home from anywhere around the globe. You can also save videos to your local computer and upload them to the cloud. Additionally, you will receive alerts whenever motion is detected. How to set up and configure your Blink smart cam, view a live view, and get motion alerts.
How to set up the Blink App
You must create an account in the Blink Home Monitor App before you can set up your Blink cameras. You will need to create a password and enter your country, region, and email. Once they have been verified, you will need to create a password.
You will need WiFi upload speeds of at least 2Mbps (megabits per sec) to use your Blink cameras. Check out this step-by-step guide to find out the speed of your internet connection.
- Get the Blink Home Monitor app. The app can be downloaded from Google Play Store or The Apple App Store.
Note: The QR code can be scanned from the first page. You will be taken to the Blink website where you can download and install the app. You can find our step-by-step guide on scanning a QR code using your iPhone or Android device.
- Open the app and tap Register.
- Next, choose your country or region. Then tap the downward-facing arrow on the right side. To move to the next page, tap Next or OK at your screen’s bottom.
- Enter your email address to create a password. Blink will send you a verification code via email to the email address. Make sure that you have access.
- Enter your verification code. Copy the code you receive from your email. You can check your spam folder to see if it is not there. You can then go back to the app and paste the code. Finally, tap Verify.
- Then verify your phone number. Enter your phone number first, then enter the verification code you received in the text message. If you click the Voice Call option, you can also get a code by phone.
- Next, select if you wish to link your Blink account with your Amazon account. Or click Skip at the top-right corner. To link your accounts, you will need to enter your Amazon username password.
You should now set up the Sync Module if your system comes with it. It improves the battery life of your Blink cameras by connecting to the Sync Module. It also allows you to record video on a USB stick. If you own a Blink Outdoor camera or want to set up multiple Blink camera sets, you will need a Sync Module.
How to set up the Blink Sync module
Tap on the plus sign in the Blink Home Monitor app to create a Sync Module. Select Blink Wireless Camera System and scan the QR code at the back. Follow the on-screen instructions.
You can skip the following section if your system doesn’t have a Sync Module or you are setting up a Blink Mini smart cam.
- Open the Blink Monitor app and tap on the plus sign. This will be located in the top-right corner of the home page. Tap the home icon at the bottom-left corner if you don’t find it.
Notice: You can skip the previous step if you’re continuing with the steps.
- Next, tap Blink Wireless Camera System.
- Next scan the QR code on the back of the Sync Module. Or tap Enter serial Manually to enter the serial number at top of the device.
- Name your Blink system. Click Next.
- Next, plug your Sync Module into a power outlet. The provided USB cable can be used to connect the sync module to the power adapter. The micro-USB port can be used for power and the larger USB-A port to record video onto a thumb drive.
- Wait for the green light and blue light to turn on. The bottom light should remain solid green and the top light should flash a bright blue, just as you can see in the app.
Notice: If the lights don’t blink properly, you can use a paperclip or a pen to push the reset button located on the side of the Sync Module over the USB-A port.
- Next tap Find Device.
- Next, tap Join. Your device will attempt to connect to the network BLINK-XXXX.
- Next, select your WiFi network and enter your password. Click Join
- Wait for your device’s update to complete. Do not unplug your Sync Module during an update.
- Tap Done.
After you have installed your Sync Module, it is possible to set up your Blink cameras. Here’s how:
How to set up your Blink smart camera
Remove the back cover from your Blink cameras and insert your batteries to set them up. Open the Blink Home Monitor app, tap on the plus sign, then select the model that you wish to set up. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Take off the back cover of your Blink camera. This is done by removing the rubber cover at the center of the case. Use the tools provided to remove the back cover.
- Next, insert two AA batteries. It is better to use the lithium-ion battery for smart cameras that last longer.
- Next, open Blink Home Monitor and tap the plus sign. This will be located in the top-right corner of the home page. Tap the home icon at the bottom-left corner if you don’t find it.
- Next, choose your Blink camera model.
- Next scan the QR code from the Blink camera.
You can also add your camera to your Blink network if you have a Sync Module.
- Wait for your camera’s update to complete and then tap Next. When your camera has finished updating, you will see it in the upper-right corner.
- Next, click Done for the final step in setting up your Blink camera.
- Screw the cover to your Blink camera. To prevent water ingress, ensure that the back cover is securely fastened if you intend to mount your Blink camera outdoors.
How to Mount Your Blink Camera
Once you have set up your Blink camera using the app, attach the mount to it. Mounting your Blink camera high up is possible if you attach the mount first.
Blink warns against placing cameras that are pointed at waving branches, pedestrian walkways, roads, or other areas that have a lot of movement. You will be constantly receiving motion alerts if you do not. You can still set up privacy and motion activity zones later in the app.
Blink cameras are unable to detect horizontal motion and can only detect motion from 20 feet away. If you don’t want your Blink camera to alert you every time someone walks along a path, install it perpendicular to the path.
Place your Blink camera where you want it to be placed. Next, tap the camera icon and take a picture from your camera. You can then reposition the Blink camera until it is exactly where you want.
How to set up motion detection alerts
Select Armed to set up motion detection alerts within the Blink Home Monitoring app. To change your motion detection settings, tap the three-line icon located just above each camera’s live view.
You can also set up motion zones to disable alerts for certain areas. Scroll down to adjust other settings such as motion sensors and how long it takes for your camera to send an alert after it detects motion.
Notification: To ensure you receive motion detection alerts, make certain the slider next to Enable and under Motion Detection is on. Make sure that the running man icon is highlighted in dark blue above your camera feed.
By tapping the gear icon at your bottom, you can change your motion detection settings. Next, go to Notifications and select the type of notifications that you wish to receive.
How to view your recorded videos
Open the Blink Home Monitor app, and then tap the clip roll icon at your bottom. Select the clip you wish to view.
To send your video via email or text, tap the share icon. Swiping left, tapping and selecting Delete will delete one clip. You can also delete all clips by selecting Edit Mark All, and then Remove.
You can instantly share your video clips with other Apple devices by following our step-by–step guide on.