This guide will help you identify which phone you have, whether it’s an iPhone, Samsung or Blackberry.
Do you know what type of phone you have? If you are looking for accessories, software, and how-to guides to fit your phone, it is important to identify the model. You can verify your phone’s model by taking a few moments to do so.
Locating the model number on your phone is the easiest way to find it. You can also check the settings menu or examine the box. You can also use an app if those fail.
1. Take a look at the phone itself
You will need to remove any protective cases that your phone may be in. Next, take a look at the back. Some phones include the model name. As with the LG Q8 above, the model name often includes a number.
It is still useful even if all you see is the manufacturer name (e.g. Motorola or Samsung). This can be used to determine the Operating System (OS), of your phone.
- Androidworks with Samsung, Google and Huawei phones. This complete list contains all devices that run Android from Phandroid.
- iOS is only compatible with Apple products.
- Windowsruns with Windows Phones made by Microsoft and HTC. You can find the complete Neowin list.
- BlackberryOS is compatible with devices manufactured by FIH Mobile or Optiemus Incfracom. Some Blackberries can run Android OS.
2. Check the Settings of Your Phone.
These guides will help you locate your phone’s Settings menu. These guides are organized according to operating system. Look at the manufacturer to find out what OS your phone uses. This information is typically located on the back of your device (see Method 1).
Once you have identified your OS, please follow the instructions below.
- Swipe up or tap All apps from the homepage.
- To open the Settingsapp, tap it. This is the app that has a gear icon. You can find it by tapping the search bar at top of screen. Type Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Settingsapp and tap on Phone.
- The model name of the phone will be displayed at the top.
You can find more information in our article identifying Android smartphones.
- Swipe down from the homepage to open Spotlight search.
- Look for Settings and, then tap the Settingsapp. It looks like a gear.
- Open Settings and the Generalsubmenu.
- Tap About in the Generalsubmenu.
- Your iPhone model name will be displayed at the top of your screen.
While you’re there, take a moment to increase your iPhone’s privacy.
- To access the Apps menu, swipe up on the homepage.
- The Settings app is now open. It looks like a gear.
- Scroll down to the Aboutsubmenu, or search for it. Then open it.
- Under Device Information, you will see the name of your Windows Phone model.
Note:Some Blackberry smartphones run the Android operating systems. These instructions may not work. Instead, follow the steps under Android.
- Swipe down from the Home Screen to open the Notification Tray.
- Tap the Settings Menu. You will see a gear icon.
- Locate the Submenu.
- Below your Blackberry ID, you will find the model name.
3. Take a look at the box
Now is the best time to find the original box that your phone came with. Your phone’s model number should be printed on the lid. The model name should be listed on any documents you received with your phone, including your warranty and receipt.
4. Get an app
You can also download an app to locate your model name if you are still having trouble. Click the links below to go directly to the download page for the app.
- Android: Motorola Hardware Info
- iPhones: System Information Lite
- Windows Phone Information
- Blackberry: Telephone Information
You can also search for the app name in the App Store (on iPhone), Google Play Store (on Android or Blackberry), and Microsoft Store (on Windows Phone).
Still Can’t Find It?
There is another way to find your phone’s model number if you have tried all three methods. The serial number, IMEI, and sometimes even the model number are all on the sticker of your phone.
It is usually easy to find by looking at the back of your phone. Although it won’t cause any damage to your phone, you should remove the cover.