You should reset your Chamberlain garage opener if it isn’t working properly or if the remote control has been lost or stolen.
Reset Chamberlain Garage Door Opener
To reset your Chamberlain garage doors opener, press and hold the LEARN button for 6 seconds on the motor housing until the LED goes out. All keyless entry codes and remote controls will be deleted when the LED turns off. You can confirm this by using your remote. It won’t work. get service now.
1. Your Chamberlain garage door opener’s memory is gone
To delete any programming codes or reset your Chamberlain garage doors opener, locate and activate the LEARN button. It is located at the rear of the motor housing. get service now
The LED light is located next to the LEARN button on many of the newer models. Press and hold the LEARN BUTTON for about 6 seconds until the LED light turns off.
All remote controls and keyless entry codes will be successfully erased once the LED turns off.
You can test your opener and verify that it has been successfully reset by using the remote control program for your garage door opener. The door should not respond.
Be aware that the door could open or close while new controls are activated.
2. Connect your remote control
After you have reset your Chamberlain garage opener, it’s time to connect your remote control.
The steps that you will need to follow depend on which model opener you have, and what color is displayed on the LEARN button.
These are the steps to connect your Chamberlain remote control
1 Slide off the metal clip on your remote control. You will see a button in the middle of your remote control (on newer models, the reset button might be on the side or front of the remote).
2 Press the button with the metal clip
3) Now you should see an LED light at the front of your remote.
4) Hold down the LEARN button and open the garage door. The LED will turn on. Within 30 seconds…
5)Press the remote control button that you wish to use
6) Make sure the garage door opener light bulb is on. Wait for the remote control LED light to solidify before you press and release the button.
7) Continue until the light bulb turns on. After the lightbulb blinks, DO NOT press the button!
4) Next identify the color of your LEARN button on your Chamberlain motor housing. Then press and RELEASE your remote button to program the number indicated in the table.
5) Once you have pressed the remote button the right number of times, then press another button on the remote. Now the LED light should turn off on your remote.
6) Now press and release the LEARN BUTTON on your Chamberlain motor housing.
7) Now press the remote button that you have just programmed. The light on your opener should flash. Press it again, and your garage door will open/close.
3. Install the Keypad
To program your Chamberlain keypad:
- Click the LEARN button to access the Chamberlain garage doors motor housing.
- The LED light will turn on, indicating that you have 30 seconds left to set up your keypad.
- After entering your 4-digit code, press ENTER and then hold it down until you hear the click. The light will flash above the Chamberlain garage door motor housing.
- Now, press ENTER to close your garage door.
- Once the door is closed, enter your 4-digit code. Press ENTER. The garage door should now open.
Sometimes, the steps above will work for a few days, but the keypad eventually stops working and can even cause interference with other remotes you may have in your vehicle.
If this happens to you, you should try creating your Keypad using these instructions:
- Hold and press both buttons for * and # in the keyboard until the light on the keypad starts to blink and the lights stop blinking.
- Enter a 4-digit code on the keypad, then hit the “#” button.
- Press the ENTER button as many times that corresponds to the color of the LeARN button (use the table I showed for you above. If, for instance, you’re LEARN button has a yellow color, you must press ENTER one time.)
- Finally, press the number 0 on the keyboard to close the programming mode.
- Go to the Chamberlain garage door’s motor housing, and hit the LEARN button. The motor’s LED housing will remain on. You have now 30 seconds to complete to proceed with the following step…
- Return to the keypad, and type the 4-digit code again, hit and hold down the ENTER key until the light turns on within your motor housing.
- You’re ready! Test your keypad to ensure it’s functioning properly.
Support and manuals
If you’re struggling with any of the steps listed above, you’ll want to consult the manual that is specific to your Chamberlain garage door opener.
Here’s here is a URL to the Chamberlain Group website where they maintain a library of over 100 manuals available for download.
If you’re not certain which model opener you’re using, simply visit the motor housing that is on the side of your Chamberlain garage door, and you’ll be able to see a label on the outside that has your specific model number.
If you’re stuck, call Chamberlain on the phone toll-free at 1-(800)-528-5880. They’ll solve the problem. The hours they work include:
- Monday through Friday 8 am to 9:00 pm EDT
- Saturday from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm EDT
- Sunday CLOSED
If you notice that your Chamberlain garage door opener is malfunctioning, or you’ve lost a remote or had it stolen, it is recommended to restart your door opener.
Resetting the settings of your Chamberlain Garage Door opener will require you to:
- Remove the garage door’s memory (including all remote control codes and coded keyless entry)
- Connect to your wireless remote control(s)
- Set up your keypad
If you’re experiencing difficulties in any of these methods, you can visit the Chamberlain website and find the user’s manual for your model.
If nothing else works If all else fails, call Chamberlain customer support a ring and they’ll help get things taken care of for you.
Please let me know if you have any issues with the reset process. I’d be interested in hearing about your experiences in the comments section below.