The robust hardware is one of the main reasons iPhones have a higher resale price than their Android counterparts. It’s not immune to failure, however. It’s not surprising that the home button can become faulty after being used. The volume keys may also get stuck or cease to respond when the iPhone becomes old. This is a problem that can cause frustration and disrupt the user experience. These 11 tips and tricks will help you fix this problem.
11 Tips to Fix the iPhone Volume Buttons, not Working Problem (2022)
Before we get into the solutions for the iPhone volume key not working or stuck issue, let’s first look at the possible causes. We then list the top 11 tips and solutions for this iPhone problem.
What could cause the iPhone volume buttons to stop working?
Although hardware failure is often the first thing to come to mind when volume buttons on the iPhone stop responding or stop working, it’s important not to rush and call a service center immediately. The problem could be caused by dust accumulation, unresponsive buttons, rare software bugs, or outdated software. We will investigate each possibility and offer solutions.
We will also discuss some reliable solutions to allow you to control the volume of your iPhone without using the physical volume buttons. These are some possible solutions to the iPhone volume buttons issue:
iPhone Volume Buttons not working? How to fix it!
1. Make sure your iPhone’s volume buttons are enabled
Many iPhone users don’t know that iOS has a setting that allows them to disable or enable volume buttons. First, ensure that it is turned on.
- Go to Settings -> Sounds & Haptics, and ensure that the ” Switch with Buttons toggle” is turned on.
2. Take out your iPhone case
There are many cases, especially the rugged and cheaper ones, that do not have tactile buttons. If you have a case for your iPhone, take it off and check whether the volume buttons are working. If your iPhone’s volume buttons work fine, it is most likely that your case was defective. We recommend that you review our roundups of iPhone 13 Pro cases and iPhone13 Pro Max cases if you are looking for a case with responsive buttons.
3. Clean the Volume Buttons
It is easy to forget about the presence of gunk or dust that sneaks into holes and ports. The possibility of dust/ grime causing volume buttons not to respond is high. To remove dust from volume buttons, you can use compressed air. You can also use compressed air to remove dust from the volume buttons.
4. Hard Reset Your iPhone
Common iOS 15 Problems can be solved by hard reset (also known as force restart). It’s a popular choice for iPhone users because it can quickly fix many issues. It’s worth a try to fix the iPhone volume button not functioning issue.
- iPhone 8 and later: Click the volume up button. Next, press and hold the volume down button. Hold the power button down until the screen of your iPhone goes black.
- iPhone 7/ 7+: Press the volume button and power buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- iPhone 6s and earlier: Hold down both the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo.
Check that your iPhone restarts after rebooting.
5. Reset All Settings
If your iPhone’s volume buttons are not working, reset your iPhone to its factory default settings. It will erase all settings on your iOS device and restore them to their original state. Your personal media and data, however, will be safe.
- On iOS15 and laterHead To Settings -> General-> Transfer or Reset Apple iPhone -> Reset All Settings
- iOS 14 and earlier: Go to Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings.
6. AssistiveTouch can be used to adjust the volume on iPhone
Although this does not solve the problem, you can use the AssistiveTouch for your iPhone to adjust the volume with the utmost ease. AssistiveTouch may be a solution to your problem if your iPhone’s volume buttons aren’t working.
- Open the Settings app for your iPhone. Go to Accessibility -> Touch. Turn on AssistiveTouch.
- Next, click on “Custom Actions”, and then select ” Single tap” and ” Volume Up“. Select ” Double-tap” then choose ” Volume Down“.
You can now adjust the volume of your iPhone with quick tap gestures. To increase volume, simply tap the AssistiveTouch symbol once. To decrease volume, tap the icon two times. It’s so handy!
Alternatively, you can choose Single tap and choose Open menu. To adjust the volume of your iPhone’s audio output, tap the AssistiveTouch icon-> Device.
7. To adjust volume, use the Control Center
The volume slider, which is integrated into the Control center, is another reliable option to adjust the volume of your iPhone. It’s quite neat. You can adjust the volume slider to increase/ reduce the sound output.
- iPhone without the home button: Scroll down from the top-right corner of the screen for the Control center.
- iPhone with home button: Scroll up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control center. To adjust the volume, you can use the volume slider.
8. You can adjust volume right from specific apps
Many streaming and audio apps for iPhone have a volume slider that allows you to adjust the volume as desired. You can use the dedicated volume slider to adjust volume when you are using apps such as Spotify or the Apple Podcasts app.
9. Software Update
Miscellaneous problems on iPhones can often be caused by outdated software that is difficult to understand. If the problem persists, you can update the software. Learn how long it takes to get the iOS 15 update here. The volume buttons, not the working problem could be caused by a rare software bug, as we have already mentioned. Follow these steps to update your software.
- Make sure your iPhone has at least 50% of its battery life and that it is connected to an internet connection. Navigate to General->Software Update in the Settings app.
- After your device has checked for updates, you will be able to download the most recent iOS update.
10. You can erase your iPhone and restore it from backup
If you are faced with an ongoing problem that isn’t resolved with the basic tips, try this nuclear solution: Erase and restore. You can choose to erase your iPhone or recover it from a previous backup. Before you give this revolutionary solution a shot, ensure that you have backed up your iPhone.
iOS 15 and later users receive temporary unlimited iCloud storage that you can use to backup your device to the cloud or restore it later. Follow the link to receive free iCloud storage if your device runs the latest version of iOS.
- To quickly backup your iPhone, make sure you have enough iCloud storage. Next, go to Settings-> General-> Transfer or Reset iPhone-> Reset-> All Content and Settings.
- After your device is erased, you can follow the setup assistant to set it up. During setup, your iPhone will give you the option of restoring your device from an iCloud backup.
- You can always use Finder/ iTunes for a secure backup of your device and to restore it. Connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cable. Open Finder/ iTunes and backup the device. Once it is backed up click ” Restore Backup” to select the most recent backup.
11. Contact Apple Support
None of these solutions will fix your iPhone’s volume buttons not working problem. If your volume keys are not responding to your iPhone’s commands, then it could be a hardware problem. To resolve the problem quickly, it would be a good idea to contact Apple Support. You might need to repair hardware parts that are damaged or broken.
[Fixed] iPhone Volume Knobs Not Working Best Solutions
You should be able to adjust the volume easily again if the volume buttons work properly on your iOS device. The basic tips and a hard reset are often enough to fix the problem. You should also ensure that your buttons work properly and that there are no obstructions to their operation. Let us know what you did to fix your faulty volume buttons. If you have any other trusted solutions that we missed, please let us know below in the comments.