The weather widget is now located in the right-hand corner of the taskbar with the latest Windows 10 update. Some Windows 10 users find it helpful to have a visual reminder of the weather while on the computer, but others don’t like it taking up too much space on their taskbar. It takes only a few seconds to disable this feature. It’s also easy to turn it on again if necessary.
This article will show you how to disable the weather widget from taking up space on your taskbar. We will also show you how to edit the “News & interests” panel to make it less cluttered.
How to turn off the Weather from the Taskbar in Windows 10
There have been many new features to your Windows 10 desktop since the last Windows 10 update. The latest Windows 10 update included the weather widget. It is now located at the bottom-right corner. If the news and weather sections don’t appear on your taskbar then you haven’t updated Windows 10. Activating this feature is automatic, so there are no steps you need to take.
This tab is also known as the “News and interest” Tab. Once you click on it you can browse various types of information. Other than the weather, you can also access news, stocks, and sports announcements.
Some Windows 10 users love the new system update features, while others find the weather widget annoying and incongruous. This feature can be disabled quickly and easily.
Follow these steps to turn off the weather widget
- Right-click the weather widget at the bottom-right corner of your taskbar
- Click on the tab “News and Interests”, located in the pop-up menu.
- Choose “Turn Off!” from the list.
You will see the weather widget disappear immediately from your taskbar. You can change your mind at any time and turn it on again.
- Right-click anywhere in the taskbar
- Choose “News and Interests”
- Select “Show icon and/or text” or “Show only icon.”
Click on the “Show icon only”, option if you want less clutter on your taskbar, but still want the weather widget. This will only show the current weather icon (e.g., a cloud, the sun or rain), You can also see the number of degrees throughout the day by selecting the “Show icon, text” option.
You can also make sure that the “News & Interests” panel does not appear each time you hover your cursor above it. Here’s how you can do it.
- Right-click the Weather widget
- Go to “News & Interests.”
- You can uncheck the “Open on hover!” option.
This is all there is to it. You’ll need to click the widget every time you want the weather to change or view the news.
If you are an administrator and have multiple users on your computer or laptop, you can disable the weather feature for them all. We’ll use the Registry Editor to accomplish this. Here’s what you should do:
- At the same time, press the Windows and “R” keys simultaneously.
- Enter “Regedit” into the Run window, and then click “OK”. This will open Registry Editor.
- Copy the following key and paste it into the top field.
- Find this registry: “ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode.”
- Continue to “Feeds”
- Select “New” and then “Dword.”
- Type in “ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode” as its name.
- Select “2” in the pop-up window next to “Value Data”.
- Click the “OK” button.
That’s it. The weather widget will now be unavailable to anyone.
How to edit the News and Interests Panel
You can edit the “News and interests box” in multiple ways. You have the option of removing the weather card completely from this panel if you wish to reconfigure it. This is how it works:
- Click the weather widget from your taskbar.
- Look in the upper-right corner for the weather card.
- Click the triangle with three dots.
- Choose the “Hide weather cards” option.
Clicking on “Edit location” in the pop-up menu will allow you to change your location. You can also turn off the weather cards from the “News & Interests” panel by choosing the “More Settings” option. You will be taken to a new Microsoft Start window where you can select whether you want the weather, finances, and traffic cards to appear in your feed.
You can change the language of your feed if you wish. This is how it works:
- Click the weather widget at bottom of the screen.
- Click on the three dots at the top-right of the screen to open the weather card.
- Select “More Options”
- Go to “Language & Content.”
- Choose the language that you would like to use for your feed.
When you close the Microsoft Start window, your feed will automatically be updated. You can also disable the community reactions feature on this page. Simply toggle the blue switch located in the “Feed” section to do this.
You can remove the Weather Widget from your Desktop
Every Windows 10 update will bring new widgets and features to your desktop. They can be disabled or enabled with just a few clicks. The weather widget is the same. Those who don’t use this feature can quickly turn it off.
Do you remember enabling the weather feature on your taskbar? Have you tried any of these methods? Please leave your comments below.