Every 24-36 hours, your Roku device should be updated. There are occasions when your Roku device might not update quickly enough. Manually updating your Roku device allows you to receive the most recent features as soon as they are available. This is how to manually update your Roku device.
How to Manually Update Roku
Press the Home button on the remote to update your Roku. Next, go to Settings>>> System > System Update> Check Now. Next, select Update Now to confirm that an update is available. Wait for your Roku device’s restart.
- The Home button is located on the Roku remote. This button has a house-shaped logo on the top of the remote.
- Next, press the left directional key. This will take you to the menu bar at the left of your screen.
- Next, navigate to Settings. Next, press the up directional button once more on your remote to go to Settings. Once the Settings button is highlighted, press the OK button at the middle of the remote to select Settings.
- Then select System. This can be done by pressing the up button on the remote and then pressing OK.
- Next, visit System update. This can be done by pressing either the OK or right directional buttons once System Update has been highlighted.
Note: This screen will display the last time your Roku device was updated and the date it was last updated. If your Roku device hasn’t been updated in the past 24-36 hours and you haven’t initiated an update, you probably don’t need an update.
- Then select Check now. The Roku device will immediately start searching for updates.
- Wait for your Roku’s check. You won’t have the ability to update your software if you see a message saying, “All software is current.” If you do see the message “Update available”, continue to the next step.
Note: When you choose to Check Now and see the screen “Unable to Update Software”, you need to make sure your Roku is connected. This can be done by visiting Settings >Network >Check connection. Go to Settings >Network > Fix connection if you have any issues with your connection. Next, choose your network and then enter your password.
- Next, select Update Now. After you have pressed OK on the remote, your Roku device should start automatically updating. This process could take several minutes depending on the speed of your internet connection and how long since your last update.
- Wait for your Roku to reboot.
You may encounter issues while updating your Roku device. We have a step-by-step guide on how to factory reset your Roku device.