Not only will Chrome update faster but it will also include security patches that protect against identity theft, phishing attacks, and viruses. Chrome can be updated automatically but there are occasions when you will need to manually update it. This article will show you how to update Google Chrome from your Windows, Mac, iPhone, or Android device.
You can update Google Chrome on your computer by following these steps:
Open Chrome on Windows or Mac computers by clicking the three-dot icon at the top-right of the browser. Next hover over Help, and then click About Google Google Chrome. Wait for the update to finish, then click Relaunch.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Next, click on the three-dot symbol in the upper-right corner. This icon will be located just right of the address bar at top of your browser.
- Next, hover your mouse over Help to select About Google Chrome.
Note: If you prefer not to go through the previous steps, simply type chrome://settings/help into the address bar.
- Wait for the update to complete and then click Relaunch. You should immediately download any updates available. However, the update will not be installed until your browser is relaunched.
These steps are the same regardless of whether you’re using Windows or Mac computers. You can also check our step-by-step guide to help you export, save and import Chrome bookmarks to ensure you don’t lose any data.
What you need to do to update Chrome on an Android device
Open the Play Store app, and tap your profile icon at the top-right corner to update Google Chrome on Android devices. Next, select Manage applications & devices then tap View details under Latest. Scroll down to tap Update beside Google Chrome.
- Open the Google Play Store app for Android. To see a complete list of apps on your Android phone, swipe up from your home screen.
- Next, tap the profile icon. This icon can be found in the upper-right corner on your screen.
- Next, select Manage apps & devices.
- Next, tap See details. This will take you to Updates available.
- Next to Google Chrome, click Update. The app may be hidden if you scroll down.
To update all your apps on your Android device, you can tap Update all at the top-right corner. It may take longer for all of your apps to update simultaneously, which could slow down your Android device.
How to update Chrome on your iPhone
Open the App Store app, and tap the profile icon at the top-right corner to update Google Chrome. Scroll down to tap Update beside Google Chrome. Scroll up to refresh the page if you don’t see your app in the list of Upcoming Application Updates.
- Open the App Store app for your iPhone. You can swipe down from your home screen to locate the app.
- Next, tap the profile icon. You’ll find it in the upper-right corner.
- Scroll down and tap Next to Google Chrome, click
Scroll to the top of your page until you see Google Chrome. After you have released the page, wait for it to refresh and then check again.