There are many ways to uninstall programs from Windows 10, whether your computer has problems or you simply want to delete old applications. Some programs can be quickly removed via the Settings or Start menu. You will need to use third-party apps or the Control Panel to uninstall Windows programs. This is how to remove any program from your Windows 10 computer.
How to uninstall programs using the Windows Start Menu
Click on the Windows button at the bottom-left corner to uninstall programs from the Start menu. Next, locate the program that you wish to uninstall from the list of apps. Click on the Windows button in the bottom-left corner. Select Uninstall. To confirm, click Uninstall on the pop-up message.
- Click on the button with the Windows logo at the bottom-left corner. Or, you can press the button with the Windows logo on the keyboard. This will open the Start Menu.
- Next, locate the program you wish to uninstall. Scroll up or down using the mouse wheel, or select the scroll bar at the right of the app column.
- Next, right-click the program. This will allow a small window of opportunity to open.
Notable: You will not be able to right-click folders.
- Next, click Uninstall. A pop-up message appears after you click Uninstall. It states that the app and any related information will be removed.
Notification: If the Uninstall option is not available, please refer to the sections below. These sections will show you how to remove the app from Settings, Control Panel or third-party apps.
- Click In the pop-up message, uninstall
This is the easiest method to uninstall a program from Windows 10. You might also see the Control Panel or Settings window open if you attempt to uninstall certain programs. You can find instructions on how to remove a program from Settings or Control Panel in the sections below.
How to Remove Programs from Settings
Open the Windows Start Menu and click Settings to uninstall programs. Next, go to apps > features then click on the program that you wish to uninstall. Next, click Uninstall in the popup message.
- Open Start Menu. Click the button with the Windows logo at the bottom-left corner.
- Next, click Settings. You will find it just above the power button.
- Next, select Apps.
- Click Apps and Features. This will appear in the Settings sidebar. You can expand the Options window if you don’t see it.
- Scroll down until you find the program that you wish to remove. You can use the mouse wheel to scroll down or the scroll bar at the top of the window. To locate the program you wish to uninstall, you can also use the search bar at the top.
- Next, click Uninstall.
- Select In the pop-up message, uninstall
Note: Depending on the program that you’re trying to uninstall, you might need to confirm that you wish to do so.
The Control Panel is where you uninstall programs
Open the Windows Search Box, type Control Panel in the search bar, and then click em>Open to uninstall the program from the Control Panel. Next, click Open to select Features and Programs. Select a program and click Uninstall. Finally, confirm your selection by clicking Yes.
- Open the Windows Search Box. Click the magnifying glass icon at the bottom-left corner.
- Click Open after typing Control Panel into the search bar. You can also hit Enter Use the keyboard.
Notable: The Control Panel can be opened from the Start menu, under the Windows System folder.
- Next, click Programs & Features. Select Small icons from the drop-down menu. You can click Uninstall program if you’re in the Category view.
- Click the right-click on a program to select Uninstall. Or, double-click the program and click the Uninstall link above the list.
- Click Yes again to confirm that you wish to remove the program.
Some programs can be uninstalled immediately by clicking Uninstall. Other programs will take you to their respective uninstallation wizards. Keep clicking Next to uninstall the program. Ensure that the uninstallation wizard doesn’t ask you to keep any files or install new programs.
You can always use a third-party application if you are unable to uninstall a program with the above methods. IObit is one of the most popular Windows 10 uninstallation tools you can download for free.
How to uninstall programs using IObit
Download and install IObit on Windows 10 to uninstall a program. Open the file you downloaded and follow the installation steps. Next, choose a program and click on the Uninstall link.
- Visit the IObit website.
- Click the Free Download button. When you download the free software, you won’t need to provide any personal information or credit card details.
- Next, click on Download Now. This will appear as the large green button at top of the page.
- Open the downloaded file. Search your Downloads folder for a file called iobituninstaller.exe. Double-click the file to open it.
- Next, you will need to go through the installation process. Click here to do this. Install Click here, then Next Follow the steps.
Note: IObit may try to force you to install additional software during the installation process. You can avoid these programs by checking the box next to No thanks.
- Next, select the programs that you wish to remove. After IObit has finished installing, it will scan your computer for any programs. The left sidebar will allow you to search for your most recently installed programs, large apps, Windows apps, as well as other programs. To select one or more programs to be uninstalled, click the square left of the icon.
- Next click Uninstall. This button is located in the upper-right corner. A pop-up window will open once you click it.
- Click Uninstall. You can also create a restore point from this screen. This allows you to make a backup in case the program is uninstalled. You can also choose to remove any residual files such as temporary files and registry files.
Not all files will be removed automatically if you don’t select the Automatically Remove Residue Files option. You have two options: you can either choose to delete all files from the list by unchecking the box left of each file’s name or click the Delete option to remove them all in bulk.
Note: IObit may open the uninstallation wizard depending on which program you’re trying to uninstall. You will then need to follow the steps to completely uninstall the program.
Check out our list of top Windows 10 apps.