It doesn’t matter if you lose or leave your phone at home, there are many options to send text messages. All you need is an internet connection and reliable internet access. This is how to send or receive text messages via a Windows computer or Mac.
How can you send an email using your computer?
Your phone is not required to send SMS (short messages service) to someone. Your phone works as long the number of your recipient and mobile provider are known. This is because the gateway will be provided by the wireless carrier.
- Use your web browser to sign in to your email account.
- Create a new email. Enter the number of your recipient in the “to” field.
- Next, add their phone number to your SMS gateway. For example, if your recipient’s mobile number is (123)456-7890 and their service provider is AT&T, you send your message to email@example.com. Below is a complete list.
- You can enter your text message either in the body or in the message field. If you exceed 160 characters, your message will be split into multiple messages.
- Click Send.
If the recipient responds to your message, you will be able to view the message in Your Inbox.
Below is a list of US wireless service provider addresses and their corresponding SMS gateway addresses.
- Alltel: @text.wireless.alltel.com
- AT&T: @txt.att.net
- Boost Mobile: @sms.myboostmobile.com
- Sprint: @messaging.sprintpcs.com
- T-Mobile: @tmomail.net
- US Cellular: @email.uscc.net
- Verizon: @vtext.com
- Virgin Mobile: @vmobl.com
If you don’t know your recipient’s wireless carrier, you can look it up at Freecarrierlookup.com, which will give you the SMS address for your recipient’s number.
How to send a SMS from a Mac using iMessage
Apple’s messaging app, Message, can be used to send SMS messages directly from your Mac. To send text messages to other iPhone users, you’ll need to bring your iPhone. Any replies you receive will be displayed on your computer’s Messages App.
This feature requires your Mac to run OS X Yosemite, or later. Your iPhone should be connected to the same WiFi network as your Mac and must be turned on.
- Open the Messages App on your Mac. This app can be found within your Applications folder.
Notification: This will explain the setup process if you are using the Messages App for the first time.
- Click on Messages in Apple’s Menu Bar to access Preferences. It is located in the upper right corner of your screen. You can access your preferences using the Command + Comma keys.
- Next, click on the iMessage tab located in the upper right corner.
- Register with your Apple ID and password. Then, check the box next to “Enable this Account.” You will need the same Apple ID that you use to send and receive SMS messages from your iPhone.
- Go to Settings on your iPhone. This app has the icon of a gear.
- Click on Messages.
- Next, turn on iMessage. This button is located in the upper right hand corner of your screen. If it is adjacent to a green slide, it will be easy for you to see.
- Next, tap on Text Message forwarding. Choose your Mac computer from the list. If you do not use 2-factor authentication, a confirmation code of six-digits will be displayed on the Mac. This code confirms that you wish to send/receive messages from your Mac.
Notification: Your Mac may not be listed in this list. To notify your Mac, go to Settings, tap Messages, and then send & Receive. Next, tap your Apple ID or phone number in the “You can send iMessages From and Reply to” section. Then repeat the previous steps.
- Click the pencil icon on Messages to open a new discussion.
- Enter the name, phone number, or Apple ID for the person you wish to message. You can also choose their name using a drop-down list.
- Enter your message in the box below.
- Press Enter to send the message
Android Messages – How to send a message using a computer
Android smartphone users have the option to send and get SMS messages using a web interface called Android Messengers. Android Messages can also be used on laptops and desktops. It can also be used on iOS devices provided it is set to default.
- Install the Android Messages Application to your Android Smartphone. You can get the most recent version via Google Play Store. Apps from Google should only be installed.
- From your browser, open messages.google.com
- Open Android messages on your smartphone.
- Next, tap Set As Default. This button is located in the lower right corner of your screen. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Click on the three dots at top-right to open Messages from the Web.
- You can scan your phone with the QR code scanner
- You can scan the QR code from the Android Messages homepage with your smartphone. This will allow you to sync your browser and phone. After the sync is complete, your messages will be displayed and your contacts will also appear on this page.
- Click to Chat with Your Computer
- Hit the enter key to type a name and phone number from your contacts.
- Enter your message in the box below.
- Click Enter to send your message.
To have your computer recognize your device, click on the three dots located beside Start chat. Next, choose Settings and toggle “Remember this Computer”. This will ensure that you don’t have to scan the QR code everytime you use the interface.
Alexa can send SMS messages to you in many different ways.