Don’t let your old phone sit in a drawer collecting dust. It can be used to make a mobile hotspot, which allows you to connect to other devices via WiFi. This article will explain what a hotspot looks like and how you can use your iPhone or Android to create one.
What is a Mobile Hotspot and How Does it Work?
Hotspots are internet access points that allow you to connect your devices with WiFi. A mobile hotspot allows you to take the internet with your device. You can purchase a mobile hotspot device but most smartphones have hotspots already built-in.
What is a Mobile Hotspot?
WiFi hotspots use cellular signals to turn them into WiFi signals. A mobile hotspot acts as both a traditional WiFi modem and a router all in one. You can create a WiFi network wherever you have a mobile signal.
Can you use a hotspot on your phone without using data?
You can only use your phone’s mobile hotspot if you have a data contract. It won’t be capable of converting the cellular signal to a WiFi signal if it doesn’t have a data plan. This means that your phone must have a working SIM card or you can use pre-paid SIM cards.
10 New Starting at $14.32
As of April 27, 2022, 02:14 pm
Important to remember that the speed and range of your WiFi network will depend on how strong the signal strength is and what cellular network the mobile hotspot is connected to. A 5G smartphone will usually create a stronger WiFi signal than a 4G one.
Mobile providers are closing down 3G networks at the moment, so your older phone may not be able used as a hotspot in the future.
How to turn an iPhone into a mobile hotspot
Open the Settings app, then go to Personal Hotspot. Next, tap the slider beside Allow Other to Join. This will create a WiFi network that is named after your iPhone. You can also connect another device to this WiFi network by using the password displayed on your screen.
- Open Settings on your iPhone. To find the app, scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Next, go to Personal Hotspot.
- Next, click the slider beside Allow Other to Join. This will activate the hotspot, making it instantly discoverable.
After you’ve set up a hotspot, you can connect to it using another device the same way you would to a regular WiFi network. You will see the name of the WiFi network on your iPhone. However, you can change it by going into Settings > General > About.
You can also tap Wi-Fi Password to change it to any other password you choose. To allow up to five people to access your hotspot automatically, tap Family sharing. Invite users to your family. To do this, go to Settings. Tap your name at the top. Select Family Sharing then tap Join.
How to turn an Android phone into a mobile hotspot
Open the Settings app, and then select Network. Next, go to Hotspot and tethering > WiFi hotspot. Enable Use WiFi hotspot. Next, connect another device via the Hotspot name or password.
- Open Settings on your Android device. To do this, swipe up on your home screen and tap Settings from the menu.
- Tap Network and internet. You might see a different name depending on which Android device you have. This option will appear under Connections on Samsung phones. LG users will find it under Tethering. Huawei users will need to visit Wireless & Networks.
- Next, choose Hotspot and tethering.
- Tap Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Next, click on the slider that says Use WiFi hotspot.
To change your login credentials, tap Hotspot username or hotspot password.
Mobile Hotspot Tips & Tricks
- After you have set up a hotspot, your phone will automatically disconnect from any WiFi network. To reconnect your phone with WiFi, you must turn off the hotspot.
- After you are done using the WiFi hotspot, make sure to turn it off. It will quickly drain your battery and use up a lot of data.
- You might be charged extra by some cell phone companies for accessing your hotspot. Before you use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, make sure to read the data restrictions.