Your Apple TV device does not have a power button, unlike a regular TV. How do you turn your Apple TV on and off? You don’t have to turn your device off. Instead, you can set it to sleep with your remote or through the Settings app. This article will show you how to turn off your Apple TV and how to set a timer.
How to turn off your Apple TV with the remote
With your remote, hold the Home button down for at least three seconds to turn off your Apple TV (4th or newer). Next, select Sleep when the Control Center appears on the right sidebar of your TV screen.
- Hold the Home button for three seconds on your Apple TV remote. The Home The button with an icon of a TV screen is the one you want.
Notice: To put your Apple TV to sleep, you will only need to go the main menu screen and press the Play/ Stop Button.
- Wait until the Control Center menu appears. If no menu appears on the right-hand side of your screen click the Home button. Wait for a second, then press and hold for 3 seconds the Home button.
- Next, choose Sleep to turn off your device. Depending on how your TV is set up, this may also turn off the TV.
These steps are also applicable if you’re using the Remote App from Apple. You can turn off your device using the Settings app if you have a universal remote or cannot use the Home Button. Here’s how:
Setting up your Apple TV to turn it off
From the Home screen, select Options and turn off your Apple TV. Scroll down to the bottom and choose Sleep Now. If you are using a third-generation or older model, this option will also work.
- Click on the Home button to access your Apple TV.
- Next, select Settings. This app has a gear-shaped icon.
- Click Sleep Now at the bottom to turn off your device. Depending on how your TV is set up, this may also turn off the TV.
How to set a sleep timer on your Apple TV
Go to the Home screen, and then select Settings. Next, go to General > After to see how long it takes your device to fall asleep. You can also disable the sleep timer by choosing Never.
- To access Apple TV, click on the Home button.
- Then select Settings.
- Next, choose General.
- Then select Sleep After.
- Next, choose when your device should go to sleep. Your device will not go into sleep by itself if you select Never. If you choose to leave it alone for 15 minutes or more it will automatically go to sleep.
How to Turn on Your Apple TV
All you have to do to turn on your Apple TV is to press the Home and Menu buttons. This works for both new and old models. You can also unplug the device to turn it off.
You now know how to turn on your Apple TV. Check out our previous article How to mirror your iPhone to an Apple TV.