Chrome displays the “Err Communication Reset” message when trying to open a website. Chrome may be having trouble connecting to your website.
There are a few ways to fix Chrome’s problem.
Reboot your Router
This issue is likely to be related to your router. You should restart your router to see if it fixes the problem. Most routers can be rebooted by pressing the power key on the router. After the router turns off, press the power button again to turn it back on.
If your router does not have a power button, you can use the power socket switch.
If this doesn’t work and Chrome still has the issue, reset Chrome to its default settings to see if it helps. Resetting your router will delete all of your settings and any custom configurations.
Your Internet Works
If you get the error message “Site cannot be reached because the connection has been reset”, check that your internet connection is working. Your router might work fine but your internet connection isn’t working.
Open a new browser to check your internet connection. If the site loads successfully, your internet connection is working fine.
If the site doesn’t load in another browser, you may want to contact your internet service provider (ISP), and ask for help.
Deactivate the Proxy Server
Although a proxy server shouldn’t cause problems with browsers, it is a good idea disable it on your computer to see if Chrome works better.
These steps will allow you to disable a proxy server in Windows 10.
- Navigate to the Start menu and search for Control Panel. Click the first result.
- Select Large Icons from View By menu.
- Click Internet Options.
- Go to the connections tab of the box that opens.
- At the bottom, click the LAN Settings button.
- Select the option that says Proxy server to connect to your LAN Click here OK .
- To save your changes, click Apply and then OK.
Reset the Winsock Catalog
The entries to the Winsock catalog for connections you have made on your computer are stored in the Winsock catalogue. To resolve your problem, it’s worth setting this catalog back to the beginning.
To reset the Winsock catalogue, you only need to run a Command Prompt command. This is how it works:
- Navigate to the Start menu and search for “Command Prompt.” Select Run as administrator.
- Enter Yes at the prompt.
- Enter the following command in the Command Prompt window. Hit the Enter key. Enter . This will reset the Winsock catalog.
Netsh winsock reset
- Enter the following command to reset the TCP/IP stack and press the “Enter” button Enter .
netsh int ip reset
- Use the following command to release your IP address:
- To renew your IP address, use the following command:
- Finally, use the following command for a complete DNS cache flush:
Start Chrome, and it should work just fine.
Clear your browser cache
Chrome may be saying that it is “Checking the connection”. This could be because Chrome has some corrupt cache files. Although cache files are meant to speed up browser sessions, sometimes these files can cause slow browser performance.
Chrome allows you to easily clear cache files. This can help fix any connection problems.
Here are the steps to reset Chrome’s cache
- Google Chrome can be opened on your computer.
- Click on the three dots at the top-right corner and choose More Tools > Clear Browsing data.
- At the top, click the Basic tab.
- Check the Cached images option.
- Hit Clear data At the bottom
Deactivate Antivirus Programs
Antivirus programs are supposed to protect your computer from malicious software. Sometimes, it can recognize good items as well as bad. Chrome may make connection requests to your websites, which can lead to problems.
If Chrome fails, you can temporarily turn off the antivirus and check if it works. You can either add Chrome to your antivirus’s exceptions list or install another antivirus program.
These steps will allow you to disable Microsoft Defender, Windows 10’s default antivirus.
- Open the Setting app from your computer.
- On the next screen, click Security.
- Select Windows Security to the left.
- Click Protection against viruses and other threats On the right pane
- Select Manage Settings from Virus and threat protection settings.
- The toggle for Real time protection is moved to the Off location.
Firewall can be disabled
Your firewall will block any suspicious network connections from your computer. Your firewall might consider your Chrome connections suspicious and block Chrome from connecting to any other computers.
Chrome may display errors such as “Err connection reset”
Temporarily disabling your firewall on Windows or Mac computers will allow you to verify that your firewall is working.
Disable Windows 10’s Firewall
- Start the Control panel.
- Assuming that you have selected Large Icons from View By, click on the Windows Defender Firewall button.
- Click To turn Windows Defender Firewall off or on, click
- Choose Disable Windows Defender Firewall In both sections, click OK At the bottom
Firewall disabled in macOS
- Click the Apple logo at the top-left corner to select System Preferences.
- On the next screen, select Security & Privacy.
- Click on the Firewall tab.
- Click here Firewall turned off button.
Google Chrome error message “Err connection reset”: How to resolve
Chrome can reset your connection for many reasons. One of the following methods should be used to fix a reset error in Chrome.
Chrome can have its problems, so you will likely experience some issues from time to another. You can resolve most of these problems yourself with quick and simple solutions.