QR codes can be found on everything, from billboards to candy wrappers. These modern barcodes can be scanned with your smartphone to open a website, download an application, send a message, or other functions. Some stores now allow you to pay by scanning a QR code, and many restaurants and bars have replaced their menus with QR codes. This article will show you how to scan a QR Code with an iPhone or Android smartphone and what to do if it’s not possible.
How to scan a QR code on an iPhone
All you need to do to scan a QR code with your iPhone is to open the Camera and point your iPhone at the code. You will need to ensure that the QR code is in the box at the bottom of your screen. Next, tap the pop-up banner icon or the yellow QR code icon at the bottom right.
- Open the Camera on your iPhone. Simply swipe left from your lock screen to open the camera app. You can also swipe down from your home screen to type “Camera”, into the search bar at the top.
- Next, point your iPhone at the QR code to scan it. Make sure you can see all corners of the QR code within the app. A pop-up banner will appear over the QR code and a yellow QR code icon will be in the lower right corner.
- Finally, tap on the QR icon or pop-up banner in the lower-right corner. You will be taken to the website or opened the app immediately. Before you tap on the banner, make sure you understand what it does.
You won’t be able to see the banner and QR icon if you don’t have the QR Codesfeature disabled. This can be done by going to Setting > Camera and then tapping the slider next to Scan QR codes. It will turn on when it turns green.
Take a photo of the QR code to capture the pop-up banner and QR code icon. Then, open the Photos app. Next, tap the Live Text icon. It looks like three lines inside a box at the bottom right. The pop-up banner will appear when you tap the QR code.
You can find our step-by-step guide on taking a screenshot with an iPhone.
How to scan a QR code with an Android Phone
Android 8 and later users can scan a QR code using the camera app. Simply point your phone at the QR code and tap the banner to activate the pop-up window. You can scan the QR code using the Google Lens app if you don’t see it in the pop-up banner.
- Open the Camera App on your Android smartphone by tapping the search bar at the top of your home screen and entering “Camera” You can also tap the search bar at your home screen to enter “Camera”.
- Next, point your Android smartphone at the QR code and scan it. Make certain that all four corners are visible in the viewfinder. You should see a pop-up banner if you have Android 8 or higher.
- Next, click on the pop-up banner. You will be taken to the website, opened the app, or performed another action. Before you tap on the banner, make sure you understand what it does.
Google Lens can be used to replace the banner if you don’t see it. The Lens icon, which looks like a box inside a circle, might appear on your screen. You might also need to tap Mods or More in the lower-right corner of your app and choose Lens. To scan the QR code, place it in the white lines.
The lens can also be opened on certain phones by tapping the QR code on the screen and holding it until you see a multicolored spinning wheel. When the pop-up banner appears above the QR code, tap it.
Google Lens might not be working in your camera app. You may need to enable it in the settings. Check your camera settings either in the app or in your general settings. Next, enable the Google Lens suggestions feature.
The Google Play Store also has the Google Lens app. Open the app and move the QR code toward the center of your screen. Next, tap the magnifying glass icon at the bottom to scan it.
Your phone may not work with Android 7 or older. However, you might have the Google Lens feature installed on your Android device. To check, press the Home button on your device or the line at your screen’s bottom until you see Google Assistant. Next, tap the Google Lens icon.
You can also take a screenshot or a photo of the QR code and open Google Photos. Then, tap the Google Lens icon beneath the picture.
You can find out how to take screenshots on your Android phone by following our step-by-step instructions.