Did you ever record a video on your iPhone only for it to come out horizontally when you intended it? Maybe it’s the reverse. It can be hard to view a video if it isn’t in the right orientation. This is how to rotate an iPhone video so that you can view it in the correct orientation.
How to Rotate an iPhone Video
Videos can be either landscape or portrait orientation, just like photos. It can be hard to watch a video if it isn’t in the right orientation for your iPhone. Use the Photos app or iMovie to rotate an iPhone video. The QuickTime app can be used to rotate the video on the Mac.
How to Rotate a video on an iPhone using iOS 13
It’s easy to rotate a video on an iPhone running iOS 13 because you only need the Photos app. Here’s how:
- Open the Photos app for your iPhone. This app comes pre-installed with your iPhone.
- Next, select the video that you wish to rotate. Your video can be found in Photos > All photos.
- Next, tap Edit. This will be located in the upper-right corner of the video when you tap on it.
- Tap the Crop icon. This icon is located at the bottom of the screen and has two arrows around it that point counterclockwise.
- Next, tap the rotate button at the top-left corner. This button has a square and an arrow around it that points clockwise. To rotate in the opposite direction, tap the button twice more.
- Tap Done.
How to Rotate a Video with iMovie on an iPhone
- Open iMovie for iPhone. You can get the app from the Apple App Store here if you don’t already have it.
- Next, tap Projects. This will appear at the top.
- Tap Next to Create Project.
- Then select Movie.
- Select the video that you wish to edit from the camera roll. The blue tick will appear at the bottom-right corner of the video.
- Next, tap Create Movie. This will appear at the bottom. You will see a new project page open. This will contain your clip in a viewer at the top. A timeline will be displayed below the viewer.
- Tap the timeline clip. The timeline clip’s outside should turn yellow.
- Turn the video in the desired direction using two fingers. Next, turn your index and thumb left or right as though you were turning a knob. Continue this process until the frame is in the desired orientation.
- Next, tap Done. This will appear in the upper-left corner. The video clip will be in the middle of the screen, without the timeline or with My Movie underneath.
- Click the share icon at bottom of the screen. This icon has a square and an up-pointing arrow. This will save the video file to your camera roll. You can then share it via social media or other apps.
- Click Save Video and send it to one of the options
QuickTime: How to Rotate a Mac Video
The QuickTime player app can be used to edit the orientation of a video you’ve taken with your iPhone. This app is already pre-installed on all Macs so you don’t have to download it.
- Send the video to your Mac. Our guide will show you how to transfer photos and videos from a Mac to your computer.
- Start the QuickTime Player app. This app can be found in your Applications folder.
- QuickTime can be used to open the video. Right-click the video and select Open with. Then, choose QuickTime.
- Click View. This will appear in the Apple Menu Bar at top of your screen. This option will only be available if QuickTime is selected first.
- Next, select Show Clips.
- Choose the video. The video will then be highlighted in yellow.
- Click on the Edit menu. This will appear in your Apple Menu.
- Next, choose Rotate Left or Right.
- Click Done to save your video to your Mac.
You can find more ways to edit photos and videos with our list of best photo editing apps available for Android and iPhone here.