Resetting an Amazon Echo smart speaker will return it to factory settings.
Resetting your Amazon Echo device using the Alexa app
Open Alexa, then go to Devices> Echo & Alexa, then select the device to be reset, and then scroll down to tap Deregister.
- Open Alexa App. If you don’t already have it, you can download it from the App Store or the Google Play Store.
- This is the tap Devices. It’s located in the lower-right corner.
- Next, tap Echo & Alexa.
- Next select the Amazon Echo device you wish to reset.
- Next tap on the gear icon. Scroll to the bottom and tap to deregister. Scroll to the bottom until you reach
- Next click Deregister in the popup. Your Echo should then restart. Alexa will inform you that it’s ready for setup.
After it resets, all data on the device will be erased.
Read on: Install Alexa on an Echo smart Speaker
If you don’t have the app, you can reset your Echo device by hand.
Resetting an Echo speaker using the Alexa App
For a third- or fourth-generation Echo smart speaker, hold down the action key for 25 seconds until the ring light turns orange. Alexa will inform you that your device is in “setup mode span>
To reset an Echo Dot of 2nd generation, hold down the microphone button and volume buttons for 20 seconds. The ring light will turn green.
Use a long thin object or pen to push the reset button below a 1-generation Echo Dot. Your device is now in setup mode.
How to Factory Setup an Amazon Echo Plus
An Amazon Echo Plus 1st Generation can be reset by using a paperclip to press the reset button.
Reset the 2nd generation Amazon Echo Plus. Wait until the light flashes.
Resetting an Amazon Echo Show/Spot
To reset your Echo Show or Spot, swipe down from the main screen and tap Settings. Scroll down to select Device Options Reset Factory defaults.