Logging in to your Mac is difficult. It is possible that your password is different from what you remember.
Resetting the admin password on a Mac
The resetting admin password is easy with the recovery mode.
- You must restart your Mac. Your Mac must be restarted.
- Hold down Command + R keys until it restarts. If you see the login screen, you will need to restart.
- Click the Apple Menu at the top and choose Utilities. The drop-down menu will then open.
- Click Terminal.
- Type “reset password”, in the terminal window. Don’t use spaces between words.
- Next hit Enter. The Reset Password Assistant screen will open.
- Enter your password for a hint.
Note: If you have multiple accounts or an older Mac model you will need “forgot all passwords”. Next, click the Apple icon in the upper-left corner and select Restart from the drop-down menu.
- Click Start. Once you get to the Login screen, select the administrator user you just reset your password for, and then enter your new password.
Resetting your password with your Apple ID
A pop-up will ask you if your Apple ID password has been reset if you log into multiple times.
- To access your Apple ID click the arrow.
- Create a password with your Apple ID
- Next hit Enter. You will then be asked if your computer needs to be restarted.
- Click Restart to continue.
- Login using your new password.
You have successfully reset your password if you can access your desktop.
Resetting your password with another admin account
You can log in to more than one Mac user’s account with the same login credentials.
- Login with another admin account
- Select System Preferences. You can find this information in your Applications folder.
- Next click Users & Group.
- Type the username and password again.
- Select the username to which you want to reset your password, then click on Reset Password.
- Logout of your account. You will be taken to the Login screen.
- Login into the account where the password has been reset for
To see if there are still problems, and to learn how to reinstall macOS on your machine .