It’s simple to record a video of your Mac screen, whether you want it to be saved to YouTube or to show someone how your computer is performing. You can record audio and show mouse clicks. No matter how old your Mac is, you can record all or part of your screen.
Screen Recording with Keyboard Shortcuts
To record your screen on a Mac press the Command + Shift+ 5keys keys on your keyboard. Next, choose from the Record Complete Screen or Select Portion buttons that appear in the pop-up toolbar at the bottom. Click Record.
- Use the Command + Shift + 5keys to open the Screenshot Toolbar.
- Next, select Record entire screen or Record selected portion. You can record the entire screen by clicking the fourth button following the “x”. You can also record a portion of the screen using the fifth button after the “x”. That button lets you select the area to record. The edges of the box can be dragged around to make it easier for you to see what you are recording.
- Next, click on Record. This will appear on the far right side of your toolbar.
- To stop recording, click on the square-in-circle icon at the top right of your Mac’s screen. To stop recording, you can press Command + Control + Esc.
Note: To record audio or voice while recording screen, click on the Options button located in the screenshot toolbar. You can choose where you want to save your recording and set a timer so that your recording begins. Also, this is where your mouse clicks will be displayed in the video.
You can record your screen with the QuickTime app if you have an older Mac or the keyboard shortcuts do not work. Here’s how:
How to screen record using QuickTime
Open QuickTime and click FILE to record your screen. Select New screen recording, then click the red button at the pop-up window. To record audio, click
- Launch QuickTime Player. This app is pre-installed for Mac computers. Go to the Applications folder to find it.
- Next, click File. This will appear in the Apple Menu Bar located at the top right of your screen.
- Next, choose New Screen Recording. A new window will open.
- To start recording your screen, click the red button To capture the entire screen, click anywhere on it. Drag to select an area to be recorded and then select Recording your thoughts Within that area.
Click the arrow beside the red circle to select a microphone.
- To stop recording, click the black circle button located in the menu bar. To stop recording, you can press Command + Control + Esc.
QuickTime will automatically open the video recording after you have pressed stop. The recording can be edited, shared, or played back. You can also save it using Save or the Command + keys.
You now know how to record your screen from a Mac. Check out our guide to screen recording on an iPhone.