Roku devices turn any TV into a smart television, giving you unlimited access to millions upon millions of movies and TV shows. If your remote control doesn’t work properly, you won’t have the ability to stream any content. No matter which type of Roku remote you use, these are the steps to pair or reset your remote.
There are two types of Roku remotes
There are two types of Roku remote controls. The “simple” one uses infrared light, but must be pointed at a receiver for it to work. The “voice” remote uses WiFi, so doesn’t need to be pointed at the receiver. They are easily distinguished by the fact that only one of them has a voice button.
If your remote doesn’t have a button that has a magnifying glass icon or a microphone, you probably have an older remote.
How to pair or reset a “simple” Roku Remote
The “simple” Roku Remote uses infrared light for control of the Roku player. It is automatically paired to any Roku device. Simply point the remote at the Roku receiver. The remote could stop working if it encounters any obstructions, such as a glass door or cabinet.
A “simple” Roku Remote cannot be reset. However, you can remove the batteries from your device and re-insert or replace them with newer ones. You can also reset your Roku device by pressing the Reset button. This button is usually located on the back of the device.
You can check if your remote’s infrared light is working correctly by pointing it at your smartphone’s camera and pressing any buttons on the remote. If the remote doesn’t detect an invisible infrared beam, your device might need to be replaced or upgraded to a Roku device.
12 New Starting at $19.88
8 available starting at $19.00
As of April 16, 2022, 9:06 PM
4 New Starting at $59.99
As of April 16, 2022, 9:06 PM
Make sure your Roku device is compatible before you purchase a remote.
How to pair a Roku voice remote
If your Roku voice remote does not respond, hold down the pairing button. This can be found in the battery compartment, or on the remote’s back. To pair your Roku device, press the pairing button until the Status light turns green. Then move the remote closer to it.
It might take some time for your Roku device to pair and connect once you have pushed the pairing button. You should place your remote near your Roku device to get the best results. If you see the screen “Pairing remote “, it will indicate that your remote has successfully connected.
Make sure your rechargeable voice remote is fully charged. You can also insert new batteries into your Roku remote and pair it again. This could resolve any problems you have with your remote.
You can request a free HDMI extender cable if you still have issues with your Roku Streaming Stick.
How to reset an unresponsive Roku Voice Remote
Unplug the Roku device from its power source and take out the batteries. After you have seen the Roku logo, plug the Roku device back into the power outlet and wait for it to turn on again. To pair your Roku device, you will need to press the pairing button on the remote.
- Unplug Roku from power
- Next, remove the batteries from the remote.
- Plug your Roku player back in after 5 seconds.
- After you see the Roku logo, plug in the batteries to your remote.
- Next, press and hold down the pairing button on the remote. Continue this process for approximately 5 seconds or until the remote’s pairing light flashes.
- Wait for the Roku’s pairing to be completed. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds. When the remote is successfully paired, you will see a prompt on your TV.
How to pair a new Roku Voice remote
If your Roku remote doesn’t work but you need to pair it, press the Home button and then go to Settings > Devices & Remotes > Remotes > Setup a new device. Next, press the pairing button on the remote and follow the instructions.
- Navigate to the Roku home screen. This can be done by pressing the home button of your remote.
- Next, go to Settings. This menu can be found in the left sidebar by pressing the left button on the remote. To proceed, press the up button and then the OK or right directional buttons.
- Next, select Remotes & devices.
- Next, select To set up a new device.
- Next, choose Remote then Continue.
- Now, push the pairing button on the remote until the Status light turns green. The pairing button can be found inside the battery compartment if your Roku voice remote has removable batteries. You will find it on the back of any rechargeable remote.
You might need to add steps depending on the type of remote that you have so you can control volume or turn on/off your TV with your remote.
You can still use your remote if you have trouble getting it to work.