Sometimes, when you download an application to your computer or receive an email attachment, you will get a file that has the “.rar extension.” This article will show you how to open RAR files on your Windows 10 or Mac computer.
What is a RAR file?
A RAR file can be described as a data container that holds one or more compressed files. Companies and individuals use RAR files for compressing their files to make them smaller. Instead of downloading multiple files at once, you can download them all at the same time.
Roshal Archive, also known as Roshal Archive, is a folder that you can use to organize other folders, documents, and images. A RAR file is different than any other folder on your computer because it requires special software in order to open its contents.
Here’s how you can open RAR files in Windows 10
There are many programs that can open RAR files in Windows. WinRAR is the most popular because it was developed by the same developers who created the RAR file format. It also supports RAR files. WinRAR allows you not only to extract RAR files but also allows you create them.
WinRAR isn’t a free program. It is shareware and you can try it before buying. You can also try it without entering any billing information.
7-Zip is an open-source, free application that would be a better option.
7-Zip opens RAR files here
- To download the app, go to 7zip.org
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install the app.
- Right-click on the RAR file. The pop-up menu will appear.
- Next, click Unzip to. Now the application will open.
- To get a free trial click Use Evaluation version in the pop-up.
- Select your file destination in the left sidebar.
- Click Unzip.
After you have opened the RAR file it will create a folder that has the same name. To see the contents, you can open this folder.
Note: RAR files can be split into multiple parts to make it easier for transmission. This is the case. Extract the first RAR file from the set and 7-Zip will extract all the others.
How to open RAR files on Mac
Mac users will need to install the Unarchiver. This free program can open RAR files as well as many other types of archive files.
- Visit TheUnarchiver.com to download the app.
- Drag the app to Applications by opening the the.DMG file. The DMG file can be found in your Downloads folder.
- Right-click the RAR file. Alternately, you can use Control + Click.
- Select The unarchiver by hovering over
Note: To make Unarchiver the default program for all RAR files you need to go to Open with and select Other. Next, select The Unarchiver. Click the Always Open With the button below.
- Double-click the RAR file. You might see a file window open. From there, you can select the destination folder to your RAR folder. It is possible to create a new destination directory for it.
- Click Extract in the lower right corner.
This is how to open RAR files from your Mac.
After you have opened the RAR file it will create a folder that has the same name.
You now know how to open RAR files on a Mac or Windows 10 PC. Check out our guide on how to open ZIP files on any device.