Roku devices are now compatible with AirPlay and Apple HomeKit. This means that you can mirror your iPhone or iPad to a certain 4K Roku device. Screen mirroring allows for you to show anything on your iPhone’s display directly to your TV. This article will show you how to mirror your iPhone onto a Roku device. It also explains which Roku devices are compatible with AirPlay.
How to mirror an iPhone to a Roku Device
Open the Control Center on your iPhone and mirror your iPhone to Roku. Next, tap the screen mirroring button. Then select your Roku device in the pop-up menu. Enter the code from your TV onto your iPhone, and then tap OK.
To mirror your iPhone to Roku you must first update to Roku OS 9.4. You can find our step-by-step guide on how to manually update your Roku device.
- Open Control Center on your iPhone. On an iPhone X and later, swipe down from your screen’s top-right corner. For iPhone 8 and earlier, swipe down from the bottom of the screen.
- Next, tap Screen Mirroring. The symbol will consist of two rectangles that are stacked on top of each other. You may or not see words depending on the contents of your Control Center.
- Next, select your Roku device.
Notification: If your Roku device is not listed, ensure that it is connected to the same WiFi network and turned on. To find out the WiFi network to which your Roku device is connected, go to Settings >Network > About. You can then change the WiFi network by visiting Settings >Network >Set up connection, and then selecting wireless.
After you have selected your Roku device, you will see the following code on your TV:
- Enter the code from your iPhone.
- To mirror your iPhone to your Roku, tap OK.
By pressing the Home button on the Roku remote, you can stop mirroring at any time. You can also go back to your iPhone’s Control Center and select Mirror. Then, tap Stop Mirroring.
Mirroring your iPhone to Roku is possible if your device supports AirPlay.
What Roku Devices Support AirPlay
AirPlay is currently only supported by certain 4K Roku devices, such as the Roku Ultra and Roku Streaming Stick+ models. Roku Premiere, Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+ and Roku Premiere are all Roku TV models. Roku Smart Soundbar supports Roku Smart Soundbar.
You can check if your Roku device supports AirPlay by going to Settings System > About. Then, compare your model number with the chart below.
Notice: The placeholders for the “X’s” are shown in the chart. Roku TVs that contain the same numbers and letters as the chart above should be able to support AirPlay.
You can use your iPhone to “cast”, videos, music, and photos to your Roku device even if it isn’t compatible with AirPlay. To learn more, check out our step-by-step guide on how to cast content to your Roku device.
If your Roku device is compatible and you still cannot mirror content from your iPhone using it, you may need to modify the AirPlay settings. Here’s how:
How to change the AirPlay settings on your Roku device
To modify your AirPlay settings on Roku devices, press the Home button and navigate to Settings > Apple AirPlay or HomeKit. Next, select AirPlay or HomeKit Settings. Make sure AirPlay is on.
- Click the Home button on the Roku remote. This button has a house-shaped logo.
- Next, press the left directional key. This will open the menu bar at the left of your screen.
- Next, choose Settings. This can be done by pressing the up button on your remote. Next, press the OK key on your remote.
- Scroll down and select Apple AirPlay or HomeKit. . This can be done by pressing OK on the remote.
Notification: Make sure you’re running Roku OS 9.4 This can be done by going to Setting > System > About, and then checking the Software Version. You can restart your Roku OS 9.4-compatible Roku device by going to Setting > System > System Restart.
- Next, choose AirPlay or HomeKit Settings.
- Make sure AirPlay has been turned on. Select it to turn it back on.
This window also allows you to change other settings. You can ask your iPhone to enter a code each time you want to mirror to Roku. You can also set up HomeKit to allow Siri to control your Roku TV. You can ask Siri to turn off your Roku TV by saying, “Hey Siri.