Because they capture our emotions perfectly, Emojis make conversations more lively. A good Rolling on the Floor laughing emoji says it all: I’m laughing so hard!
However, emojis change all the time and you don’t want to be left behind. There are many ways to add new Emojis to Android phones, create your own, or use existing ones from iOS.
Here’s how to update your emojis for Android devices.
1. Upgrading to the latest Android Version
Every new Android version brings new emojis. Android 11 introduced 117 new characters and more than 2000 emojis were updated in an additional Android update.
Are you unsure if your Android phone has received the update? Here are some things you can do to confirm that your Android device has received this update:
- Tap Settings in your phone’s Menu, then scroll down to About. Some devices require you to go through System first. Next, tap on the software version. This will tell you which Android update you’re currently using. Continue to the next step if you are not on Android Version 11 (or later).
- Once again, go to Settings. Tap About phone to check for an update. Next, click the update button and hit install. You must be connected to Wi-Fi and any other mobile internet connection.
- Go to any messenger app to check if the update succeeded. Try to type while typing the Black or Ninja emojis on the Android version. Both are new emojis included with the update.
You may not receive full Android updates as some phones do not have the ability to. There are still other options.
2. Use Emoji Kitchen
Google’s native keyboard app Gboard features the Emoji Kitchen. You can create mashups from your stickers. This is how to create a new Emoji with this:
- Open your preferred messaging app such as Facebook Messenger.
- Next, tap on a contact to initiate a conversation.
- To start typing, tap on the text bar.
- Next, tap the Emoji button (the one that has a smiley face). To activate Emoji Kitchen, select the emoji you prefer.
- You can view all possible emoji combinations right above your keyboard. Scroll through the stickers to find the one that you like.
Not all messaging apps support Emoji Kitchen. Also, see our guide to learn the meanings for various Emoji Faces.
3. Install a New Keyboard
You can also install third-party Android Emoji Keyboard. Some of these apps, such as the EmojiKeyboard have an icon dictionary that allows you to quickly check the meaning of each emoji.
The app has a prediction function and lets you send stickers and GIFs on social media sites such as Instagram and Snapchat.
Here’s how to install a third party keyboard on your smartphone.
- Tap Google Play in the menu of your phone. Tap the search bar to the right and type the keyboard app you prefer.
- Next, tap Installation. You can also try other apps if the keyboard app does not work with your phone.
- Wait until the download is complete.
These are some of the top third-party keyboard applications you can choose from:
- Ginger (Free, in-app purchases available)
- Chrooma (Free in-app purchases)
- Flesky (Free in-app purchases)
- Swiftkey (Free)
These apps can be used in place of Google’s keyboard app Gboard which is included on every phone. You can also check out the pre-installed keyboards by some device manufacturers, such as Samsung.
4. Create your own custom Emoji
You can create your custom emoji if you want your emojis to reflect your taste and personality. You can download a variety of emoji-maker apps from the Google Play Store to your Android device. With Memoji , you can transform yourself into an Emoji.
Follow the same steps as for downloading third-party keyboards to install an emoji maker onto your phone. Bitmoji is a popular custom emoji maker and offers an extensive library of stickers that you can customize.
This article will show you how to use more emojis in Android if this is your first time using the app.
- Sign up using your email after downloading the app. Sign in with your existing account if you have one. You can also register automatically and log in with your Snapchat account.
- Next, choose a gender to use for your Bitmoji avatar. You can also upload a photo and the app will create an avatar that is very similar to the user. Or, you can design your own avatar. You can also customize the avatar’s clothing, hairstyle, and skin color.
- After you are satisfied with your avatar click Save in the upper-right corner.
- Next, click on the keyboard in the lower-right corner of the homepage. Next, click on the keyboard at the homepage’s lower-right corner.
- You can also change your phone’s keyboard to Bitmoji. To do this, tap Settings and then select managed keyboards. Finally, choose Bitmoji from that list.
You can now choose from a variety of emojis that have your face on them and send them to your loved ones or friends via social media.
5. Use a font editor
Apple’s iOS has arguably better emojis that Google’s Android. Use zFont to edit the fonts of iOS emojis. This app can be downloaded via Google Play Store.
Here’s how to update Android emojis after you have downloaded the app:
- A notification should be sent asking for permission to access media files, photos and other files on the device. Tap Allow.
- Tap the Emoji tab on the app’s home screen. Download Emoji files for different platforms such as Windows, Facebook, WhatsApp or JoyPixel.
- Select the most recent iOS version and then download it. It will display a preview of all the new emojis after the download is complete. Tap on to set.
- Next, select the manufacturer of your phone. Next, choose the Latest installation method.
- Next, open your phone’s Settings and then hit theme manager. Next, download the latest version. Allow the changes to take effect for a while.
Font editors such as zFont might not display certain fonts correctly due to compatibility issues. The app also has many pop-up ads and you cannot merge bitmap fonts.
BONUS: Google will add the new Emoji soon
Waiting for Google to add new emojis to your list is perhaps the easiest and most direct way to get them. You can also download the beta version the Gboard app if you cannot resist and want to be among the first to receive the new emojis.
It doesn’t matter which method you use, updating your emojis is easy. There are other benefits to installing a new keyboard. It’s easy to replace your keyboard.