Your IP address (Internet Protocol Address) is similar to your home address but for your WiFi network. The internet would not know where to send you data, such as your emails or websites, if it didn’t have an IP address. This is how Windows 10 computers find their IP addresses.
How to find IP address on Windows 10 Computer
You can find your IP address using Windows 10, by going to Control Center > Internet > Internet and Sharing Center > Modify adapter settings. Right-click Ethernet to go to Status > Detail.
This guide is only for Windows 10 computers. You can also use a Mac to access this article on how to find your IP address using a Mac.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon at the bottom-left corner.
- Type IP Address in the search bar.
- Next, click Open.
- Click To change adapter options.
- Next, right-click on your network and choose Status. Right-click the WiFi connection if you have one. Click that if you’re connecting to the internet via Ethernet.
- Click Details.
- Next to IPv4 Address, you’ll see your computer’s IP address
What’s the difference between a private and public IP address?
Your internet service provider assigns a public IP address to your devices. It is a unique global IP address. Your router assigns a private IP address to devices in your private network. This is how you can have the same IP address locally as another person, but not the exact same private address.
It’s like having a public IP address that is the same as your apartment building’s address. Your private IP address, however, is your apartment number. You can have the exact same apartment number as someone else in the same building, but your building address will be different.