You won’t like looking at a bright screen for long periods of time. Learn how to activate Dark Mode and return to Light Mode quickly.
How do I enable dark mode on my Mac
To enable Dark Mode on Macs, click the Apple logo in the upper-left corner. Next, choose System Preferences. Next, click on the General link at the popup window. Click Dark or Auto to enable Dark Mode.
- Please click on the Apple logo in the upper-left corner.
- Then select System Preferences.
- Next, select General.
- Select Dark. It will be found at the top of the window just below Appearance. To automatically switch between Dark Mode during night and Light Mode during the day, you can choose Auto.
The Light and Dark Mode options won’t be available after you upgrade to macOS Mojave.
Dark Mode will only be enabled for certain apps. Dark Mode is not available for third-party apps such as Safari, Mail, and Maps.
Safari might allow you to use Dark Mode if your websites are specifically designed for it.
Keep reading: Dark Mod Extensions for Chrome and Safari
Switching between dark and lighter modes
To switch between Light Mode and Dark Mode on your Mac, open the Control Centre in the upper-right corner.
- Open Control Centre on your Mac. Click on the icon that looks like two sliders with stacked tops. This icon will be found in the upper-right corner.
Notification – The Control Centre icon won’t appear on your computer unless it has been upgraded to macOS Big Sur.
- Click Display.
- To turn it on or off, click Dark Mod
How to make your Mac dark
Click the Control Centre button in the upper-right corner to choose Display to darken your Mac. Night Shift reverses some colours while Dark Mode makes your Mac appear more blue and yellow.
Click Show Preferences at the bottom of the pop-up window. Next, select Night Shift and drag the Colour Temperature slider up to Warmer. This will decrease the amount of blue light coming from your screen. This reduces eye strain, especially if you’re reading text at night.
You may also create a schedule that will control when Night Shift starts or stops from this page.