Dark Mode is recommended for those who spend a lot of time staring at their computer screens. Dark Mode makes your bright white screen darker. This will mean that most Windows apps and features will display white text on a gray or black background. This makes it easier to read and helps with concentration. A study done by Google showed that Dark Mode will help you save 60% on your energy consumption. Are you ready to go dark? How to activate Dark Mode in Windows 10
How to enable dark mode in Windows 10
The Dark Mode feature can be used in several ways on your desktop or laptop. You can roll out the feature across all user interfaces, in specific apps only or on webpages.
- Open Start menu. This can be done by clicking the Windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Go to Settings . This icon looks similar to a gear icon and is located just above power icon in the start menu.
Alternatively, you can also access the Settings window by pressing Windows + ‘i’ on your keyboard simultaneously.
- Click Personalization.
- Click on the Colors tab.
- Scroll down, and click the Dark button below “Choose your default App Mode.”
When you choose Dark Mode, your Settings app instantly turns dark (as will other Windows apps).
If you want Dark Mode, your desktop should also be darkened. Here are some ways to make your desktop black
How to Turn Your Desktop Black
- Click Settings > Personalization > Background.
- Select Solid color under Background from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the black option in “Choose a background color”
If you don’t like their standard black color, you can choose a custom color.
You might now notice that the taskbar at your bottom is still bright. Here are some ways to darken your accent colors and taskbar.
How To Make Your Accent Color Dark
- Click on Settings > Colors.
- Under “Choose your accent color,” pick a dark grey color . Windows can also choose an accent color based on your background. You can choose from a variety of Windows colors if you prefer.
If you are not satisfied with the colors available, you can choose a different color. Windows warns you about colors that make it difficult to read text.
- Scroll down to the Colors menu and look for the option under “Show Accent Color on the Following Surfaces.”
You have the option to change the accent color of the Start menu, taskbar, action center and/or title bars or window borders. If you enable these options, here is what will happen:
How to Darken File Explorer and Control Panel
The default Windows mode will be set to dark, but it won’t automatically activate File Explorer and the Control Panel. You can change this setting by changing the default app mode from dark.
Follow these steps to change your default app setting from Dark Mode to Dark Mode.
- Upgrade Windows to version 1809 (or later). . Go to Settings > Updates and Security > Windows Updates to update Windows. Next, click on Check for Updates at the top of the window. Try downloading the following: Windows Update Assistant .
This option is only available on Windows 1809 and later. Go to Settings > System > About to see which Windows version you have. Under Windows specifications, the version number will be displayed.
- Click Settings > Personalization > Colors. Light will be the default app mode.
- You can change the setting by clicking the “Dark” button below “Choose your default App Mode.”
- This will make File Explorer dark.
If you follow these steps, the Control Panel will also become dark.
How to make other Windows apps dark
You can also turn on Dark Mode if you have Windows version 1903 or the May 2019 Update.
- Windows Version 1903.
- Open any Windows application.
- Click on Settings.
- Select Dark Mode and click on it in Windows Maps. You might find other apps that do not support this feature.
How to make Microsoft Edge dark
You will need to manually enable Dark Mode in your Edge browser.
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click on Settings to learn more. This icon is located in the upper right corner, near the address bar.
- Choose settings.
- Select Dark under “Choose A Theme”
- Now you can browse in Dark Mode
You may also want to check our article on darkening a web browser.
How to turn Microsoft Office dark
Dark Mode can be activated in MS Office programs separately. Although the example above uses Word, the steps for Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote are identical. Outlook users will need to first go to File > Office Account to see the customization options, including Dark Mode.
- Open any Office app.
- Click File > Account.
- Change the Office Color to Dark Gray or Black.
Dark Mode can be used to change the display of your screen. You now know how to use the feature on Windows devices. Here’s how you can change your Mac to Dark Mode.