It may seem unnecessary to know how to remove water from an iPhone. Many of the top phones have water resistance. This means that you don’t need to worry if your iPhone is dropped in water. Although dropping your phone into water is no longer a disaster, moisture can still linger on your phone’s speakers.
The iPhone has an easy way to get water out of its speakers. All you need is an Apple shortcuts app to find a third-party solution. You can also check out our top tips on how to get water from your phone.
Water Eject produces sound at a frequency which causes your iPhone’s speakers to vibrate so water is forced out. This is important because, although your iPhone may have water resistance (the IP68 rating for the current iPhone13 models indicates that your phone can withstand water up 6 meters for 30 mins), you will still need to clean your iPhone after a dip. It’s not easy to get any lingering moisture from the iPhone’s ports. This shortcut ensures that water-related accidents such as drops, dunks and dives are not fatal.
The Shortcuts app is all you need (it comes preinstalled on all current iPhones). If it’s not there, go to the App Store and install Shortcuts (opens new tab). This works on any iOS device running iOS 12 or later.
Shortcuts has been installed. Here’s what you need to do to create a shortcut that removes water from your iPhone.
Shortcut to remove water from iPhones using Siri
- Open the Shortcuts Gallery on your iPhone. Tap Get Shortcut to get the Water Eject shortcut. Then, click Add Shortcut on the next screen.
- Shortcuts will be launched and the Water Eject shortcut joins the other shortcuts in the app.
You can activate the shortcut from here in one of 3 ways.
Use the Shortcuts app to activate water eject
Shortcuts is the best way to activate Water Eject shortcut.
- Launch the Shortcut app and tap on the Water Eject shortcut. Tap Begin Water Ejection from the menu.
- The tone will continue for approximately 15 seconds. A pop-up message will alert you at the end that water has been expelled.
Siri voice command activates water eject
You can activate the shortcut by sounding your voice, if you prefer not to have to launch Shortcuts or find the Water Eject shortcut.
- After you have set up Hey Siri on the iPhone, just say “Hey Siri water eject” and Apple’s digital assistant’s will open the Water Eject menu. Tap Begin water ejection to continue.
Use a home screen icon to activate water eject
If you are the type of person who drops their phone into water often, you can place the Water Eject shortcut onto your home screen.
- Tap on the line of three buttons at the Water Eject shortcuts’s upper left corner. On the next screen , tap the three horizontal bars.
- In the Details tab, click Add to Home Screen and then confirm by tap Add to the next screen
- Now, the Water Eject shortcut will appear as an icon on you home screen. You can modify your iPhone home screen and move this shortcut where you like.
Other ways to protect your iPhone are buying a case. Make sure that you get the right case for your iPhone. These are our case roundups for the latest iPhone lineup: