Apple has recently offered a new way for you to personalize your iPhone. Widgets allow you to view useful information directly from your lock screen or home screen. There are currently widgets that display your favorite photo albums, top news stories, upcoming events, and other useful information. Using this article, you’ll learn how to create, edit, and add widgets to your iPhone’s home screen.
How to add widgets to your iPhone
Tap and hold an area of your iPhone’s home screen until you see widgets. Tap the plus sign at the top-left corner. Next, select a widget and choose a size. Finally, tap Add Widget. Next, tap Done.
You must have iOS 14 or higher to add widgets. Check out our step-by_step guide to updating your iPhone.
- To go to your iPhone’s home screen, swipe up from the bottom on iPhone X and newer models. You can also go to the home screen with an older iPhone by pressing the home button underneath your screen.
- Tap and hold a blank space on your screen until the apps jiggle. .
Note: You can tap and hold any widget or app. Next, tap Edit Your Home Screen in The Pop-up Menu that opens.
- Next, tap on the plus sign. This will appear in the upper-left corner.
- Select a widget you wish to add. Scroll down to see more widgets. Downloading new apps can allow you to add more widgets to your iPhone.
- Next, choose a size for your widget. To see all sizes swipe left or right.
- Next, tap Add Widget. This widget will be added to your home screen.
- Tap Done. This will appear in the upper-right corner.
You can add widgets to your iPhone by tapping and holding the widget and selecting Edit Your Home Screen.
Drag a widget to your left to add it to your Today View. This will allow you to access the widget without having to unlock your iPhone.
How to Customize Widgets for an iPhone
Tap and hold widgets to customize them on your iPhone. Next, select Edit widget and then tap the information that you wish to modify. Some widgets won’t allow you to change any settings while others will only allow you to modify one or two settings.
How to stack widgets on your iPhone
You can save space by “stacking” widgets on your iPhone home screen. To do this, tap and hold one and select Edit Homepage Screen. Slide the widget onto a similar-sized widget. Finally, tap Done.
You can scroll up and down to browse your widgets once you have set up a widget stack. You can add only 10 widgets to a stack.
How to Edit Your WidgetStack
Tap and hold a stack to edit it. Next, tap Edit Stacked. You can then reorder widgets by dragging them or remove widgets by tapping the minus symbol in the top-left corner.
Smart Rotation is enabled on iPhones to automatically rotate widgets in your stack. This will show you the most relevant widgets based on activity, time, and location. Widget Suggestions allows your iPhone to automatically add or remove widgets based on the context.
To change the settings of any widget, you can tap on it.
How to create your own custom widgets
Download the Widgetsmith App to create your own widgets. Open the app and choose a size for your widget. You can also customize it. Next, add the Widgetsmith widget on your home screen. Tap and hold the widget, then select Edit Widget and choose the widget that you have created.
- Open the Widgetsmith App on your iPhone. This app is available for free on your iPhone or iPad via the Apple App Store.
- Next, choose the widget size. Click Add a widget or tap on the default widget to edit it.
- Next tap the widget preview.
- Next, choose the type of widget that you wish to create. There are many widgets you can create for free. These include calendars, clocks and step counters. To use any styles or widgets that have an icon of the lock in the upper-right corner, you’ll need to purchase the app.
- Next, customize your widget. To customize your widget’s font, color, background, image, and other settings, tap one of the tabs at the bottom.
- Next, tap the back button. This will be in the upper-left corner of your screen.
Notice: Keep track of the number associated to your widget. This information will be needed later.
- Next, click Save. Tap Save if the widget preview isn’t right.
- Next, add a Widgetsmith Widget to your home screen. To do this, tap and hold an empty area on your home screen. After the apps start to jiggle, tap on the plus sign at the top-left corner. Scroll down to select Widgetsmith. Select the widget size you want and then tap Add Widget.
- Select Edit Widget by tapping and holding the widget.
- Next, tap on the widget number.
- Next, choose the widget number that you have created.
After you have learned how to add widgets on your home screen, read our How to hide apps from your iPhone article to further customize it.