Connecting your Amazon Echo device to your computer will make life easier. It is easy to connect your Alexa device with your computer to add audio, video, or music to your device. With Alexa, you can create shopping lists and task lists, set alarms and reminders, and even add Alexa skills. Here are the steps to connect your Alexa device with a Mac or Windows 10 PC.
How to connect Alexa to a Windows 10 Computer or Mac Computer
Go to alexa.amazon.com to connect Alexa with your computer. Sign in to your Amazon account, or create a brand new one. Next, go to the website by clicking Settings > Create a new device. Follow the on-screen instructions.
This guide will show you how to connect your Alexa device (e.g. an Echo smart speaker) to your computer. You don’t need an Alexa device? Check out this guide to how to install the Alexa app on your Windows 10 computer. This will enable you to use Alexa voice commands directly from your desk.
- Use a web browser to open alexa.amazon.com.
- Sign into your Amazon account to create a new one or update an existing one. Click To create a new Amazon account. Next, enter your name and email address. Create a password. Next, click Create an Amazon account.
- Next, click Options. You will see the Settings link in the left sidebar.
- Next, click Create a new device. This option will be the first under the Devices panel.
- Select a device you wish to set up. Click the name of your device from the Amazon device list. If you don’t see the device name at the top, you might need to scroll down.
- Next, click Continue. This will prompt you to sign back in to continue setting up your device. Click Continue.
- Click Log in to enter your username and password. You will be taken to another Amazon Alexa login page. Enter your password and click the blue Login link.
- Click Continue.
- Hold down the button with the dot until you see an orange light. The webpage will display instructions asking you to plug in your Amazon device to an electrical outlet. After your device has been plugged in, hold the button with a dot for 6-10 seconds until you see the orange light. Alexa will then tell you, “Now in setup mode.” Follow the instructions on your Alexa app.
- Next, click Continue to save your work.
- Connect your Alexa device with your computer’s Wi-Fi network. You can connect to your WiFi network using Windows 10 computers by clicking the network icon at the bottom-right of your screen. Select the WiFi network format Amazon-XXXX. The Xs represent a combination number and letter. Wait a few seconds for the network to appear.
Notably, if you’re using a Mac computer you will see the WiFi network button at the top-right corner.
- Click Next to complete the setup of your computer. Alexa will announce, “You have connected.” Go back to Alexa. Click the blue Continue link.
- Next, select your WiFi network. To connect to your device, click on the network that interests you.
Not all connections to the WiFi network will work immediately.
- Wait for Alexa’s arrival. The website will show a screen that informs you that it is currently preparing your Amazon device. As Alexa connects your device to the internet, you will see a progress bar. This process can take several minutes. After the setup is completed, Alexa will tell you, “This device has been prepared” and the orange light will disappear. Your browser will display an on-screen message letting you know that your device has been connected.
Notification: To get the best results, ensure that you have enabled Connect Automatically on your WiFi network.
Check out this article to learn all about cool stuff Alexa can do.