Connecting your Alexa device to a WiFi network is one of the most important things to do when you get it. Your device will not work if your WiFi network is changed or you try to use it in a new location with a different WiFi network. This article will show you how to connect your Alexa to a new WiFi network without or with the app.
Does Alexa Need WiFi?
To function properly, Alexa devices require a WiFi connection. An audio recording of your voice or question is sent to Amazon’s cloud via WiFi. It is then processed and sent back over WiFi to your device so Alexa can answer or fulfill your request.
How to connect Alexa to a new WiFi network with the app
Open the Alexa app, and then tap Devices to connect Alexa with a new WiFi network. Select Echo & Alexa, then choose the Alexa device that you wish to connect to a new WiFi connection. Next, tap Switch to access WiFi Network. Enter the WiFi password.
- Open the Amazon Alexa App. The Alexa app can be downloaded to your tablet or smartphone from the Apple App Store or The Google Play Store.
Not all Alexa apps are authentic. Make sure to download the Alexa app from AMZN Mobile LLC.
- Next, tap Devices. This will appear in the lower-right corner.
- Next, choose Echo & Alexa. This will appear in the upper-right corner.
- Next, choose the Alexa device that you wish to connect to a new WiFi connection. If your device is not listed, please go to the Devices Screen and choose All Devices. This will be visible to the right. Echo & Alexa. If your device is not visible, reset it and set it as a new one. Find out more about How to put your Echo device down You can find our step-by-step guide here.
Notice: You can ask Alexa for the name of your device if you forget it.
- Next, tap Status. This will display the current WiFi network to which your device is connected.
- Tap To change. This will appear next to WiFi Network as well under Wi-Fi.
- Next, press and hold the action key on your device. This button is located at the top of the Echo device.
- After your device has entered setup mode, tap Continue. When the ring light turns orange and spins, you will know that your device has entered setup mode. Your Alexa device will also say “Now in setup mode.” Follow the instructions on your Alexa app.
- Next, select your Alexa device from the list.
- Next, choose your new WiFi network. If your WiFi network doesn’t appear within a few seconds, tap Rescan Network Near the top of your screen.
Note: To get the best results, ensure that your tablet or smartphone is connected to the same WiFi network as your Alexa device.
- Enter your WiFi password, then tap Connect.
- Wait for Alexa to connect to the new WiFi network. This may take several minutes. When the new WiFi network is established, your Alexa device will notify you.
You can connect Alexa to WiFi using a browser if you are unable to use the mobile app. This is how to connect Alexa with WiFi without using the app.
What you need to do to connect Alexa to a new network without the app
Sign in to Alexa to connect to a new WiFi network. Next, click Settings > Create a new device. Select your device. Next, switch on your device and put it in pairing mode. Finally, connect to the WiFi network. Next, select your network and enter your password.
- Open a web browser to go to alexa.amazon.com This can be done with Google Chrome, Safari or Firefox.
- Log in to Amazon. Your Amazon username and password will be required. Click the Create a New Amazon Account button to create an Amazon account.
- Next, click Settings. This will appear in the left sidebar. On your browser’s left sidebar, click Settings. To see it, zoom out or expand your browser window.
- Next, select To create a new device.
- Next, choose the Alexa device that you wish to connect to a new WiFi connection. Scroll down to see more options.
- Click Next
- Next, plug your Alexa device into a power source
- Wait for the ring light to turn orange.
Not seeing the orange light ring on your device? You will then see the button that you need to press on your device. You will most likely need to press the action button at the top of the Echo device with the dot in its middle.
- Next, connect to a network that uses the format AmazonXXX. Connect your phone or computer via your browser to the WiFi network. To set up Alexa on a Windows10 PC, click the WiFi icon at the bottom-right corner. Your Mac will also display the WiFi icon in the upper right corner. You can also go to Settings > WLAN if you are using a tablet or a phone. You should then see the network among all available WiFi networks.
- Click Continue in your browser. After you’ve connected to your WiFi network you’ll see a window saying, “Your computer has connected” to Alexa.
- Next, choose the WiFi network to which Alexa should connect. This step can be skipped if you have already saved one.
- Enter your WiFi password, then click Connect.
- Wait for Alexa to connect to the new WiFi network. After you’re done, you can ask Alexa any question to verify the connection. You can ask Alexa, for example, “Alexa what’s the weather like tomorrow?”
You can use Alexa on your computer by following our guide to how to install the Alexa app to your Windows 10 PC.