It’s easy to connect AirPods with a Mac, no matter if you’re trying to pair your wireless earbuds or set up automatic switching among all your Apple devices. It’s not as easy as pairing AirPods with an iPhone, but it’s still very simple.
If you have an iPhone, your AirPods may be already connected to your Mac.
No matter what your case may be, we will show you how easy it is to connect your AirPods Pro or AirPods to your Mac.
How to connect AirPods to a Mac For the First Time
You should pair your AirPods Pro or AirPods Pro together if you have never used them before. It doesn’t matter if you connect AirPods with an iMac or a MacBook Pro, it will work the same way.
How to check if your AirPods are connected to your Mac
If you have already used your AirPods and your iPhone, they may be paired automatically with your Mac. This is only possible if the iPhone and Mac have the same Apple ID and are compatible with Apple’s Handoff feature.
Check if your AirPods are connected to your Mac:
- From the menu bar, open the Control Center.
- Move your mouse to the Sound section in Control Center and click the Arrow.
- A list of Output options will appear. If your AirPods are listed, click on the button to connect them to your Mac. Before you can connect your AirPods, you will need to remove them from the charging case.
How to pair your AirPods with your Mac
If you don’t see your AirPods in the list, it means they aren’t yet connected to your Mac. You will need to pair them. Pairing your AirPods with your Mac is exactly the same process as pairing any other Apple device.
These steps will allow you to pair your AirPods Pro or AirPods Pro.
- Recharge your AirPods in the case. But don’t close it.
- Hold the Setup button at the back of your case until the status lights flash white. Keep pressing the button on the back of the case until the status light turns white. Your AirPods will now be in pairing mode.
- Click the Apple icon in the menu bar. Next, go to System Preferences > Bluetooth.
- Your AirPods must be listed among the devices. Turn your Mac’s Bluetooth on if they don’t.
- To pair your AirPods, click Connect beside them.
If your AirPods are still not pairing, upgrade to the latest macOS. AirPods (3rd Generation) will only work with macOS Monterey and later.
How to automatically switch AirPods from Your Mac to AirPods
When you first connect your AirPods Pro to your Mac, it will automatically switch to your Mac when you use it. You can simply stick your AirPods Pro into your ears, and then they will automatically connect to your MacBook Pro.
This process is almost always automatic, so you don’t have to do anything. However, if you are using your AirPods with an iPhone or another device like an iPad, you will need to click connect in your notification.
AirPods should sound as good as possible
It’s that simple. Your AirPods will connect to your Mac automatically. You don’t have to do anything other than put them in your ears, turn on some music, and then you can start playing. If that doesn’t happen, you can manually pair your AirPods by selecting them from the audio output choices.
Now that you have all this information, make sure your AirPods sound the best they can.