It doesn’t matter if you’re running or working hard, knowing how long your AirPods batteries will last is important. Your iPhone, iPad or Mac computer can instantly check the status of your AirPods battery. A new widget for the iPhone’s home screen will display each AirPods’ battery level. This is how you can check the battery level of your AirPods, whether or not you have a charging case.
How to check the AirPods battery level on an iPhone/iPad
First, make sure Bluetooth is turned on on your iPhone or iPad to check the AirPods’ battery level. Next, place your AirPods inside the case. Close it and then move it towards your device. Then, you’ll see the AirPods battery level appear in your case.
- Bluetooth can be enabled on your iPhone and iPad. Go to Settings > Bluetooth, and ensure that the slider at top of your screen is green. If your AirPods are not connected, you should connect them.
- Next, place your AirPods inside the case and seal the lid.
- Now, move the AirPods case to your iPhone or iPad. To get the best results, place your AirPods case as close as you can to your device. You will also need your iPhone or iPad to be on.
- Next, open the case and wait for a few seconds.
- You can now check the battery level of your AirPods on your screen. This will display the battery level and the charging case. You can see each AirPod’s battery level individually by removing one from the case. Wait a few seconds.
If your AirPods don’t show the battery level, close the case and then open it again after a few seconds. Your battery level may not appear in certain apps, so you might want to open the case again from your home screen.
If your AirPods are still not showing the correct battery level, you can disconnect them from any other devices they may be connected to. They won’t appear if they are fully charged, so charge them and the case for a few moments before you try again. If nothing else works, you can also open the case by pressing the setup button at the back.
The battery level can be checked from the home screen of your iPhone or iPad, without having to place them in the case. You will need the Batteries widget. This widget is only available for iOS14 and higher. Here’s how:
How to check the battery level of your AirPods without the case
Tap and hold any empty space on your iPhone/iPad’s home screen until you see the AirPods start to jiggle. Next, tap the plus sign at the top-left corner. Next, tap Add Widget.
- Enable Bluetooth on your device. Go to Settings > Bluetooth, and ensure that the slider at top of screen is green. Make sure that your AirPods have been connected to your device.
- Next, tap and hold any empty space on your iPhone’s or iPad’s screen. Your apps will jiggle when you do this.
- Next tap the plus sign at the top-left corner.
- Scroll down to select Batteries.
- Next, select a size for your widget. Swiping to your left will allow you to choose from a small square, long rectangle or large square widget.
- Tap Add Widget.
- Next, arrange the widget on your homescreen. You can stack widgets that are identical in size by placing them on top of one another. You can also place your widget elsewhere on your home screens.
- Next, tap Done. This button will appear in the upper-right corner.
- You can also check the battery level of your AirPods without the case. When connected to another device, the Battery widget will show you the current battery level for your AirPods.
Place one AirPod inside the case to test the battery levels of each AirPod. Close the case and then open it again.
How to check the AirPods battery level on a Mac Computer
- Place your AirPods inside the case and seal the lid.
- Next, click on the Bluetooth logo at the top-right corner. This icon looks like a capital B with two lines sticking out of the back. Click the Apple icon at the top-left corner and choose System Preferences. Next, select Bluetooth. Finally, check the box next Show Bluetooth at the bottom.
- Next, choose your AirPods in the list. Close your case, and then press and hold the setup button at the back of your case until you see the AirPods listed. Make sure you disconnect your AirPods and other devices.
- Open the lid of your AirPods bag.
- You can now check the level of your AirPods’ battery by clicking on their names.
How to check the battery level of your AirPods without an iPhone, iPad or Mac
Open your AirPods case to get an idea of how much battery is left. Next, check the status indicator on the back of your case. If it is green, your case has been charged. If the status light is amber, it means that your case still has one charge.
What is the Life Expectancy of an AirPods Battery?
The battery life of the first and second-generation AirPods is approximately 5 hours for music listening and 3 hours for talking on the phone. AirPods Pro’s battery lasts for 4.5 hours listening and 3.5 hours talking on one charge.
AirPods can be charged in just 15 minutes for 3 hours of listening or talking time. AirPods Pro provide an additional hour of listening or talking time, and this is after only 5 minutes of charging the case. If you keep your AirPods Pro or AirPods Pro charged throughout the day, you can have up to 24 hours listening time and 18 hours talking time.
You now know how to check your AirPods’ battery life and AirPods Pro’s performance. Check out our step-by_step guide to help you locate your AirPods in case they are lost.