Are you thinking about taking a long vacation? Do you fear that you will leave your clients or colleagues behind? You might be able to go for a shorter time, but you worry that your office colleagues will think you are abandoning them. If you use Microsoft Teams as your main communication channel, this is no problem.
Microsoft Teams gives you the ability to create an “Out of Office” status. This notifies others that you aren’t available and lets them know your absence. These are some of the different ways that you can create this status in Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft Teams – Set up Office Status
To set up an “Out of Office status” on your Microsoft Teams account, you can choose to not work on a certain day or go on vacation. To let your team know that you aren’t available, each of your colleagues will send you an automated message.
Through Your Microsoft Teams Account
- Microsoft Teams is available on your computer.
- If you’re a member of several teams, you can choose which one you would like to change your status. Skip this step.
- Next, click on your profile photo at the top right of your screen.
- Click Set status message .
- To close the pop-up window click the Schedule a leave of absence button. The brand new window will be opened.
- Enable the following from the Out of Office Window Set up automatic replies option.
- Enter your out-of-office messages in the box below. You can send this message to other people who are trying to contact you in Teams. This will also go as a reply in Outlook. So be specific, even if you aren’t at work. It is also possible to type this here when you are at work.
- After you have added the out of office message, the option is available to make it possible to send automatic replies outside your organization. You should activate this option if your business deals with clients or others outside the company.
- You just need to click the box beside For outside inquiries, please send me a reply . The box can be checked if you are only interested in sending your out-of–office notice to contacts. Only for your contacts. If you’d prefer to email it to everyone, select All external senders.
- Next, enter the message you want to send your external colleagues. Or, you can type in the response using the dialogue box. You can also copy and paste the message from your Team’s status.
- You will also need to set a time when your Team’s account will send out automatic replies. To enable this feature, you can click the box to the right of Send replies only during the time period.
- Click Finally Save.
Through Microsoft Teams Settings
- Open the Microsoft Teams application on your computer.
- After that, click the 3-dot menu next to your profile image.
- Select one of the options Settings.
On the right-side navigation, click General. Next, scroll to the bottom on the General page. Click Schedule. This will bring up the Out of Office window.4. Follow steps 6-12 to determine your Out of Office status.
How to change the status of your office on Microsoft Teams Mobile App
There is no way to create an out-of-office auto-reply using the Microsoft Teams app. However, you can modify your status via the app and clear it within a specified time. This is great for when you’re only going to be away from your account for short periods of time, or if there are meetings.
Here are the steps to changing your status
Note: The app has the exact same UI regardless of the mobile OS. Therefore, the instructions below will be applicable to both.
- Open the Microsoft Teams application on your Android/IOS phone.
- Tap the profile image at the top-left of your screen. Next, tap To set status message.
- The text box will allow you to add your status message. You can turn on the Show status messages when people message you option. You can then set a timer to limit how long this status message will be displayed. Your status message will automatically be cleared once the period has expired.
- Finally, press Done. Now your contacts will see your status when they message your on Teams.
How to change the status of your office in Microsoft Outlook
When you set up your Microsoft Teams out-of-office status, the same setting will be applied to your Outlook Email account. Outlook allows you to edit your automatic response, and these changes will be reflected on your Team’s Outlook account. Here’s how to modify your Outlook status.
- Open Microsoft Outlook on your PC.
- Next, click File Find it in the top menu.
- After that, press the ” Automated Replies button.
- In this window, you can see the exact message you sent to your Teams account.
- To save your changes, finalize your out-of-office message by clicking OK. You can also make changes here to your Team’s Account.
How to get rid of your Office Status in Microsoft Teams
You can follow these steps to get back to your regular status and turn off automatic replies.
- Navigate to Out of Office Settings by pressing your profile picture, then Set status message > Schedule Out of Office or click Settings > General > Out of Office.
- Next, switch off the toggle near the Auto replies option. Finally, click Save.
Microsoft Teams Makes Vacations Stress-Free
Microsoft Teams Out of Office allows you to have a quiet vacation from work with the Microsoft Teams Out of Office setting. An automatic reply means you won’t have any worries about your clients or colleagues wondering why you didn’t reply to their messages. You can take your mind off work and have a relaxing vacation.