A default web browser will be included with any new smartphone or computer. You can change your default browser to Chrome, Firefox or any other app you choose. Here are the steps to change your default browser on Windows 10, Windows 11 or Mac computers, as well your iPhone and Android devices.
Here’s how to change Windows 10’s default browser
Go to Start > Apps Default apps to change your default browser on Windows 10. Next, click on your default browser and choose a different browser from the dropdown menu. Click Search for an app in Microsoft Store if you don’t find a web browser.
- Start the Windows Start menu. Click the Windows logo at the bottom-left corner to open the Windows Start menu.
- Next, click Settings. This icon is the gear-shaped icon located just above the power button.
To open Settings, you can press the Windows + I keys simultaneously.
- Then select Apps.
- Next, click Default apps. This will appear in the left sidebar.
- Scroll down to select the default browser. This will appear on the right-hand side of your window under Web browser.
- Choose a new browser from the list. Scroll down to find your preferred web browser. Find an app in the Microsoft Store.
Note: Before you can see this web page, you must have a web browser installed on Windows 10.
Windows 11: Changing the default browser
Go to Start > Settings> Apps > Default browser. Next, select the browser app that you wish to make default on and then click Set Default. Scroll down to change the browser for each type of file.
- To open Settings, press the Windows + I keys. The Windows key will be located in the bottom row. To open the Settings menu, press that key simultaneously with the “i” key.
- Next, click Apps. This will open the left sidebar.
- Next, select Default apps. This will appear on the right side.
- Next, select the browser app that you wish to make default. Scroll down or use the search box below to locate it. Set defaults for applications.
You will not be able to see this list if you haven’t downloaded and installed a web browser on Windows 11.
- Finally, click Set Default. This will appear in the upper-right corner.
This will change the default browser to open multiple file types.
Notification: This option is not available on Windows 11 computers. To build KB5011563, you will need to upgrade your Windows 11 computer.
By scrolling down, you can change the default browser to open individual file types.
Next, select the app that you wish to use and then click OK.
On a Mac, how to change the default browser
Click the Apple logo at the top-left corner and navigate to System Preferences >General. Next, click on the drop-down menu beside Default browser to select your preferred browser.
- Click on the Apple icon at the top-left corner.
- Then select System Preferences.
- Next, select General.
- Select the default web browser option to choose your preferred browser.
Note: Before you can see this list, you must have a web browser installed on your Mac.
An iPhone’s default browser can be changed
Open Settings and scroll down to change the default browser for your iPhone. Next, tap the Default Browser app and choose the browser you wish to make default.
Note: Before you can see this list, you must have a web browser installed and downloaded to your iPhone.
You can change the default browser on Android by following these steps
Go to Settings > apps > Default browsers to change your Android’s default browser. Select the Browser app to choose the new browser that you wish to make default.
- Open Settings on your Android phone. To do this, swipe down from the top of your home screen to select Settings from the available apps.
- Next, tap Apps. Depending on the type of Android phone, this might be called App Management.
- Next, select Default applications.
- Tap Next, open the Browser app.
- Next, choose the browser that you wish to make your default.
Note: Before you can see this web page, you must have an Android browser installed and downloaded.