If you wish to modify an administrator account that is linked to a Microsoft Account, you can do so by going to Settings > Accounts > Your Information and clicking on Manage my Microsoft Account. This will take to Microsoft’s website where you can modify your profile. After you are done, make sure to restart the device. Here are the steps to change Windows 10’s administrator name:
After you have restarted, your new username will appear on the sign in screen.
- Start the Windows Start menu. Click the button at the lower left corner of your screen that looks like the Windows logo.
- Then select Settings. This icon is the gear-shaped one located just above the power button.
- Click on Accounts.
- Next, click on “Your information”. This option is located in the left sidebar.
- Click on Manage My Microsoft Account. This will take to your Microsoft account website.
- Next, click More actions. This drop-down menu is located in the upper left corner next to your user name.
- Next click Edit profile in the drop-down menu.
- Click Next, click Change the name to match your current account.
- Enter your new first and last names.
- Enter your Captcha code.
- Click Save.
- For the changes to take effect, restart your computer.
How to change administrator name via Advanced Control Panel
Advanced Control Panel allows you to change the account name of a user. This can be done by using certain commands. This option is available when you click Properties on the selected user.
- Hold down the Windows key and the R key simultaneously on your keyboard. The Run command tool will now open.
- Type netplwiz into the Run command tool.
- Select the account that you wish to rename.
- Click Properties.
- Enter a new username under the General tab.
- Click OK.
- Select OK on the User Accounts Panel.
You can change the name of your local account by going to Control Panel. Here’s how:
How to change the administrator name in Windows 10 via Control Panel
You can change the Administrator name of an account that isn’t linked to a Microsoft Account by opening the Control Panel and clicking Change account type.
Not all local accounts can be linked to a Microsoft account.
- Type Control Panel in the Windows Search Bar. Click the magnifying glass icon at the lower-left corner.
- Click Open.
- Click To change your account type, go to Use Accounts.
- Choose a user account that you wish to rename.
- Click To change the account name.
- Enter the name of your new account in the box.
- Click on the Change Name button. When you return to the previous screen, your changes will be visible.
You now know how to modify an administrator name in Windows 10. Check out this guide on how to create an administrator account in Windows 10.