Roku players allow you to view thousands of TV shows and movies on apps (also known as channels). You can download channels to your Roku device just like you do apps for your phone. You can add a variety of paid and free channels to your Roku device in one of three ways: directly from the Roku website or the Roku mobile application. How to add apps to your Roku device
Add Apps to Your Roku Device
- Click the Home button on the Roku remote. This will bring you to the home menu.
- Click on the left sidebar to open the Roku Channel Store.
- Select a category or search Channels. Type in the channel that you wish to add. To scroll up or down on a list, press the Rewind or Fast Forward buttons on your Roku remote.
- To learn more about a channel, press OK on your remote. The channel rating and synopsis will be displayed. You can also view screenshots.
- Click Add Channel or Buy when you have found the channel you wish to purchase. If the channel is available for free, click Add Channel. If you have to pay, the button will say Buy with a Price. Either way will install the channel to your Roku home page.
Not all apps are free. Some require subscriptions or pay per viewing fees.
If you have a Roku account pin, you may be asked to enter it here.
Roku Website: Adding Apps
You can add channels to your Roku device even if you aren’t there.
- Go to ChannelStore.Roku.com.
- Click Sign in . You can zoom out or expand your browser window to see the sign-in .
- Register or create an account
- Select a channel, then click Add Channel. You can search for channels by genre or category. You can also search for channels by category or genre using the Search channel Box. To view the synopsis, rating, and screenshots as well as the price, click Details after you have found a channel.
You will need to take additional steps if you purchase a paid channel.
Note – It could take up to 24 hours to add a channel to your Roku device using this method. Roku devices check the system for changes every 24 hours. You can speed it up by going to your Roku device, selecting Settings > > Update, and then clicking Check Here.
How to add apps using the Roku Mobile App
Your smartphone can also be used to add channels.
- Download Roku. This app is available on the Apple App Store, and the Google Play Store.
- Open the app, and then tap the Channels icon. This icon can be found in the bottom navigation bar. You will need to click Connect if you are new to the app. Next, you’ll need to pair your device. Select it from the drop-down list.
- Next, tap Channel Store at the top menu.
- Scroll down for genre searches or tap the magnifying glasses icon to search by name.
- Select Add Channel.
Follow the steps to buy the paid app if this is the case. You will need to enter your Roku PIN if you have one.
Note : Like channels that are added through the website it can take up to 24 hours for your channel’s added to your Roku device if it is added using the mobile application.
You can find our guide to pairing a Roku remote if you have problems.