While desktop wallpapers look nice, they can become boring. It is time to get rid of all that static desktop wallpaper and replace it with video wallpaper.
There are a variety of tools that can be used to accomplish this task, each with different results. You should find the one that is right for you, regardless of whether you are using Windows 10, macOS, Linux, or Chrome OS.
Choose a Video to Use as Your Desktop Background
Before you begin setting a background for your desktop with a video, it is important to take some time to consider which clip you would like to use.
Different videos work well for different purposes. If you are just looking to watch your favorite movie while you browse the internet or work, you can choose a shorter video.
A shorter clip might be better if you want a stunning desktop background. This is especially true if the clip can be looped. You can use both video clips and GIFs.
Set a background video on Windows with PUSH video wallpaper
We think the video wallpaper app delivers the best results. It’s also easy to use. The downside is that it costs around $10 to purchase. However, you do get a free trial.
Go to the site and download PUSH Video Wallpaper. Launch the EXE file to download the app. As the app runs, your desktop background will transform and display a demo clip.
- Open the PUSH Wallpaper option from the taskbar.
- Click on the + symbol for a new clip.
- To set the background, select this.
- You can use the loop tool within the controls to make short clips.
The controls also include a shuffle and volume buttons. This button could be used to adjust audio levels while you’re working. It is also possible to create playlists of videos as video wallpaper.
The result is a full-screen, smooth desktop video wallpaper background with app windows and icons in the foreground. You can set a video background on your Windows desktop with PUSH Video Wallpaper.
VLC lets you set a video to be your wallpaper
A desktop media player that is versatile enough to make a background video on the desktop is the VLC media player. The VideoLAN.org VLC Media Player is available on all operating systems.
How to make a Desktop Background Video using VLC
VLC Media Player can be set up to play videos on a desktop. However, older versions of VLC Media Player will require you to:
- Open Preferences > Videos.
- Next, find the output setting. Then select DirectX (DirectDraw), in the drop-down list.
- Click Save. Next, exit VLC to browse to the video you want as background.
- Right-click on the clip and it will be played in VLC Media Player.
- Right-click on the player window, and select Video > Set As Wallpaper. You can also click video > Set as Wallpaper.
To remove the check, maximize the VLC media player. You can then close the program.
To access the latest version of VLC media player you can right-click on the video and select Video > Set as wallpaper.
VLC may not work for you. You can still access the Windows toolbar and Start buttons, but the video is in full-screen mode. However, shortcuts and desktop icons are not displayed.
This background is more like a modified full-screen mode than a desktop background.
- Set a Video Wallpaper Using YouTube
You have options of different complexity if VLC media players don’t deliver the results you want.
YouTube is your best option, and it works with Windows 10, macOS Linux, Linux, Chrome OS, and Chrome OS.
To make a YouTube video of your desktop wallpaper
- Open YouTube.com to select your video.
- You can play the clip, then turn it on full screen.
- Alt–Tab through all the open applications and place them on the top of your video.
The background then takes the video. This background is not a true desktop background. It does not have shortcuts and desktop icons. To exit full-screen mode, hit Esc.
- Get a Windows Video Desktop Background using Desktop Live Wallpaper
Another option is for Windows 10; it uses a tool that can be downloaded from the Windows Store. Desktop Live Wallpaper allows you to control the images, GIFs, videos and backgrounds that display on your desktop.
It can be downloaded by following the link or by opening Windows Store and searching “desktop living wallpaper”
After installing, Desktop Live Wallpaper is available in the Start Menu, under Recently Added.
It is easy to set a video wallpaper for Windows 10 with Desktop Live Wallpaper.
- Click To Add Photos/Videos.
- Click Select from PC for a browse of your video backgrounds (the app also allows you to download video resources).
- You can select each video, image, and GIF you would like to use as background.
- Click Make Changes.
All videos in the folder play in turn. This can be changed. Click Add Photos/Videos for more information. Then click Changes.
To adjust the duration of your photo and use transitions, or toggle video sound and autostart, you can use the Settings tool.